Question on trans FTM THT with a brain AVM

Hi,

I wasn’t sure where to put this, but I’m wondering how safe it is for trans FTM individuals to undergo THT (testosterone hormone therapy)? According to my google searches (I don’t have a doctor with whom I can discuss this), people who go on T are at-risk of developing blood clots and having a stroke. I’ve already had a stroke in 2014 when two of my three brain AVMs ruptured completely. The third one has never showed any signs of growth, but I’m assuming that I’m at-risk for blood clots and a second stroke.

Have any of you safely undergone HRT while having a brain AVM?

Thanks!

I really don’t know the answer to that question. I hope you find the answer.

Hi,

So I don’t know the answer to this. I’m hoping that someone may offer a thought other than mine but here goes…

So there are two types of stroke. The stroke you had when your AVM ruptured is specifically a haemorrhagic stroke, in which blood spilled out into your brain space and made a mess of things that way. The other type of stroke is an ischaemic stroke, which is to do with clots blocking an artery and denying nutrients, oxygen to whatever that artery supplies. They’re different.

What strikes me about this is that I don’t see a reason why the hormone therapy would affect your AVM rupture risk: it may bring a risk of clots but I don’t see how that would adversely affect your AVM. What it does mean, if you have an increased risk of clotting, is that you should understand whether there are any actions you should take to reduce or mitigate that (staying wonderfully hydrated is often a recommendation for anyone who has had brain surgery) but I do think you need to talk to your doctor about the effects of the hormone replacement and whether you have any other increased risks that ought to be offset somewhat.

I can see that you’re saying you can’t talk to your doc about these things: does that mean you’re doing the hormone treatment without a doctor input?! (because that’s the doctor I would ask).

Very best wishes,

Richard