Psychological disorders after crainiotomy?

I had my crani now 3 months ago and think I am still in the early days of recovery. I had anxiety disorders for about 15 years before this surgery - so this made me feel like not beeing myself already during these years. After surgery i was anxious because I slowly got conscious about what i had gone through and this scared me alot..most of all it scared me thinking about what could have happened with me in this surgery..somehow i haven´t been aware of that before. Also I had some problems with the processing of what i saw and sometimes what i heard. I knew that my eyes and ears themselves were absolutely allright but my brain couldn´t get all and work all out. I wanted to have everything like it was before from one moment to the other and it took me a bit to realize that that won´t happen. But so i ha struggled years before with anxiety diesorders - more or less severe - i didn´t let it turn me down badly for long. Sometimes I get very angry yes , but i always had a very heated temper...and I am lucky to have no depressions. I cried a lot after surgery, but I think that results from the fact, that my loved father died 10 days after I was released from hospitalfrom lymphoma cancer and 1 months later my mom was diagnosed with uterus-cancer.I still have a lot of bad days in which I struggle with everything, but I also have a lot of good days which make me happy - and when I have a bad day - the hope and the thoughts on the good days make me strong. And I noticed-. the good days are getting more....! beside all that I am still good minded and thankful...this suffering made me be a more positive woman....I accept how it is now...and even if i am not the same as i was before...I feel good and I don´t worry too much about it- it is good how it is now and I know my eyes and ears will get better. I will stay strong and I wish u all the same.

Greg,

I had my crainiotomy August 2009, it took my eyesight six months to get back to single vision. I wore a patch to be able to watch tv or read. That is a crappy feeling but it did go away.

I think that all people with a disability go through steps of grievance/loss - depression being one of those.

One of my focuses for this year and beyond is to be proactive in crying - sounds silly, I know; but it will mysteriously creep up when it's most unwanted.

Only certain personality-types seem to get under my skin - more like my intolerance for what I now see as "small", "caddy", or "old" baggage - this just annoys me and tends to affect my irritant levels sometime to the point of anxiety and to zap my energy...that's still a constant, but I try to do some deep breathing if my energy gets zapped.

If it happened with everyone, I'd be concerned with it...since that's not the case, I'm not too concerned with it.

It might help to consult a doctor on this.

Well I'm completely barking mad after my bleed and craniotomy!
Some days it's best to STEER CLEAR OF ME. I've got better at pin-pointing those days and will cancel stuff.

I sleep a hell of alot.
Does anyone else?
I also do alot of exercise to get it all out.
Anyone else do that?

Hey dudes, come and join me in the new up and running SLEEP AND NAP GROUP.
that's how I cope with the depression etc. I disappear...

flower,

I have finally calmed down my emotions. Of course I have help from some medication. I still can be very mean to people. People who mean the world to me. I get up every morning around 5 a.m. to walk for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Then I come home and exercise for about 30 - 40 minutes. I think the exercising really helps me to really expunge my explosive feelings. I sleep about 7 hours but would love to take naps. I will not allow myself to did it though. Not sure why.

After another 2, 5 months - i am 5,5 months after crani now and I must say, as the things in my family and around me got better, I got better too. I am very good, even so I am not completely recovered, but my psychological disorders got so less. I am not angry anymore and even my anxiety disorder lessend so much, that I think i feel even better than before the crani. I don´t stress and think so much about things that could happen to me, as I did before,I am much more relaxed and don´t freak out so easy. It makes me lucky now, when the weather is good and the sun is shining and I can go out. I go out a lot, I take walks for hours when i have the chance.and I am sure that this walks helped me a lot in my recovery. I am happy now so often - just out of the blue and i even have feelings back I thought i had lost a long time ago...I am thankful and I wanna give u hope and be the example that things can get better....pls stay strong and take care XXX

Had my craniotomy back in Oct of last year. It's been a rough road lately. Mainly because I keep comparing who I am now with who a have been for the last 40 years. I know I should stop, but it's all I know.

I have gotten better. 2x vision still a bitch. I take 1 sertraline a day to take the edge off of what a crappy hand I've been dealt. No leads on jobs and don't know what I could do anyway. Disability? Probably. Exercise and walking help a lot. It also helps that I can drive, a bit. I try to do what I used to, but things aren't what they used to be.

G.

My avm ruptured almost six year ago, holy crap. Anyway i was 13. I think it was harder for me than it is for many. When i came out of the hospital after 7 months i couldnt do anything on my own anymore and always needed help. I was a completely different person from the time before my bleed. To make things worse i started hs after getting out even tho i missed all of 8th grade. it was hard. teenagers are worse than adults. im still in my teens and struggling w some issues but its easier for me to breathe now. i get depressed sometimes but i try not to think about my past bc it makes things hader

Greg, I had the same problem with double vision. Mine was bc I had strabismus after brain surgery. Eye therapy helped a little but then I had corrective surgery and its not noticeable but I can see it my vision has improved.

Hi Michelle,

Please add me. I would like to discuss your 2x vision.

Greg

Yes, and They appeared around and after the craniotomy 50 years ago, When I was old enough to do so on my own, I sought help, but only in the last 10 years have I succeeded, Not one shrink or counselor even considered the brain trauma, and either did I. I have mood disorder, anxiety, depression, OCD which was severe when I was a kid, but is much better now, ADD, and I am a social mess. Not too depressed anymore. But terribly lonely at times.

beans