Proton Beam

I had Proton Radiosurgery a few days ago. Wondering if anyone out there has had this procedure done? What sort of post-surgery symptoms have you had and how long after the procedure did they occur?

Kerry: This week my radiologist suggested that I might be a candidate for proton beam treatment (which is good news for me since they have already said they will not do more treatments because my avm is to large and in a very functional area).
On monday (April 26) I will discuss this further with my neurosurgeon, it all depends on what he thinks, finger crossed.

It would be really interesting to hear from those of you who have experiences with this type of radiation.

What questions to ask my neurosurgeon?
How long does the treatment last for?
Do you have to do multiple sessions?
Possible side effects?
Prognosis?
?

I know that this is not much help for you Kerry, but I was going to add a similar discussion when I found yours, so I poke this one + hope that we will get some answers to our questions.
It would be nice to hear more from you and your experiences post proton :slight_smile:

Hanne xxx

Hanne,
My doctors were pretty thourough when discussing proton surgery with me. It was a pretty straight forward procedure. I had 2 separate appointments. The first was for the imobilization device fitting and the skull markers and a CT Scan. The actual radiation treatment only took about 30-40 minutes and was completley painless for me. So far so good. I only had to have one treatment and have another MRI to schedule in 6 months. Good luck tomorrow and let me know how it goes.

-Kerry

Hanne said:

Kerry: This week my radiologist suggested that I might be a candidate for proton beam treatment (which is good news for me since they have already said they will not do more treatments because my avm is to large and in a very functional area).
On monday (April 26) I will discuss this further with my neurosurgeon, it all depends on what he thinks, finger crossed.

It would be really interesting to hear from those of you who have experiences with this type of radiation.

What questions to ask my neurosurgeon?
How long does the treatment last for?
Do you have to do multiple sessions?
Possible side effects?
Prognosis?
?

I know that this is not much help for you Kerry, but I was going to add a similar discussion when I found yours, so I poke this one + hope that we will get some answers to our questions.
It would be nice to hear more from you and your experiences post proton :slight_smile:

Hanne xxx