Prosthetic

Good day! I am an amputee (above the knee) and this summer, we are planning to have my own prosthetic. I want to ask, how does it feels wearing a prosthetic? Is there a possibility that avm will again occur in my stump? How heavy the prosthetic is? I heard from a PT that you should exercise your stump in order for it to be strong and able to lift the prosthetic, but my concern is I can’t do that much exercise 'cause eventhough the worse part of my foot/leg was already removed, my blood vessels in my stump is still larger than normal ones so I am afraid if lifting a prostetic might stress my veins and arteries.

Though my doctor already told us that I can wear prosthetic but my doubts and questions are bothering me. Do you have any ideas? Thank you in advance.

I’m not an amputee (hoping for a BKA eventually as my AVM seems to be extremely resistant to treatment) but a pool should be low impact enough for you to get enough exercise in without swelling in your stump. Most low impact exercises will keep you from widening those veins. I hope your prosthetic works well for you! I would love to talk to you about your experience leading to your amputation. (If that’s not too painful or personal) I’m at the point where my doctors are just repeating the same things over and over and getting no where so I suggest amputation and they look at me like I’m nuts. Best of luck!

1 Like

Good pm! Thank you for your response and it’s ok for me to talk about my experience, no problem with it. Best wishes too.