Pregnant for the first time

I am 11 weeks pregnant at 35 for the first time! Although my husband are I are extemely excited, I am also very scared. My AVM bled about 18 months ago when I was 33. Located in my cerebellum, my balance and cordination were extremely effected and i am again on disability for the 2nd year in a row. I am cane-less and walking with a limp but every month I am getting better and stronger…Does anyone have any advice for me in dealing with a newborn with my disability? Any tricks of the trade perhaps or dealing with children period under these circumstances?

Welcome to the group.

Well, first, I’m sure you know you are probably considered a high risk pregnancy. Just means extra cautions have to be taken. I believe that increased blood pressure might tend to cause a bleed, so my guess is you will need a c section. Stress of a normal birth might be risky for you.

As for child care, I think you will learn that bit by bit. If balance is an issue, I would be cautious walking with the baby. Just watch how you do things.

Kids are very tough–you’ll do fine.

Ron, KS

I had a craniotomy to remove my avm-so I am told that I am avm free. Everyone from my high risk gyno to my neurosurgeon all say that I can push…we will see if that actually happens.

Oh Georgia, congratulations! I’m so very happy for both of you. When I met you all those months ago, you were still walking with the cane and now you’re not, fantastic! Babies have a remarkable way of getting us to “just do it”. Although children can be challenging, newborns in particular, I believe you’ll surprise yourself and do very well. See if you can have a relative or friend perhaps stay with you in the beginning to see how you do, until you know that you can do it! Again, very best wishes and when are you due?

Trish said:
Oh Georgia, congratulations! I'm so very happy for both of you. When I met you all those months ago, you were still walking with the cane and now you're not, fantastic! Babies have a remarkable way of getting us to "just do it". Although children can be challenging, newborns in particular, I believe you'll surprise yourself and do very well. See if you can have a relative or friend perhaps stay with you in the beginning to see how you do, until you know that you can do it! Again, very best wishes and when are you due?

Hey Trish good to hear from you…We should plan to get togehter soon…I wish someone would plan something for our region…I guess it should be me huh…I am due on May 22nd. I will be fine I am sure…but still nervous and a little scared.

Sorry I didn’t respond, I think my notifications are messed up somehow? I hope you are feeling well and getting pleasantly plump! I saw where you posted something on the Southeast page, but now I can’t find it. About a get together. I think it’s a great idea and count me in. Just let me know if anyone responds and let me know if I can do anything to help.

Georgia Thompson said:

Trish said:
Oh Georgia, congratulations! I'm so very happy for both of you. When I met you all those months ago, you were still walking with the cane and now you're not, fantastic! Babies have a remarkable way of getting us to "just do it". Although children can be challenging, newborns in particular, I believe you'll surprise yourself and do very well. See if you can have a relative or friend perhaps stay with you in the beginning to see how you do, until you know that you can do it! Again, very best wishes and when are you due?

Hey Trish good to hear from you.....We should plan to get togehter soon.....I wish someone would plan something for our region....I guess it should be me huh.....I am due on May 22nd. I will be fine I am sure...but still nervous and a little scared.

Wow Georgia thats great to here your AVM is gone!! :slight_smile: I also have an avm it’s on the on the left temporal lobe. And I have had two surgerys embolization and gamma Knife surgery. I was treated over 3 years ago and the AVM is shrinking every year. But I’m 28 and I really want to start a family with my husband of 10 yrs. I know I will be considered High risk so since you are going through this as an avm survivor how has you pregnancy been? is there anything I should know before I take the next step.