Pregnancy after an AVM

Hi everyone!

I’m really happy to have found this site. It’s great to see so many similar people :slight_smile:

I had an AVM when I was 12, which was treated with a crainotomy, then followed with stereotactic radiotherapy 2 years later. I have been very fortunate and made a very good recovery, however I always thought I’d never be able to have a baby. I’m now married, and my husband and I are starting to reconsider this topic. My neuro surgeon says it is possible but not without risks, and I will need to have an epidural, and probably a cesarean. Has anyone been through this? I am concerned about possible neuro side effects from the epidural, and increased stress during the birth.

Thanks!
Kirsty

Thanks for sharing your experience! It’s great to hear you’ve got a healthy little boy.

Were you awake during your cesarean, and did you have an epidural? This is one thing that is still really worrying me. I’ve heard it’s not preferred to have a general anesthetic as it can have adverse effects on the baby.

Is there a reason why the cesarean was 2 weeks early? Is this normal?

We have been thinking this through for ages now, and I think we’re getting close to making a decision. Your story has really helped :slight_smile:

Kirsty

WOW that is incredible!!
This really boosts our confidence, and the pics make it seem less scary.
Thanks again for sharing.

Kirsty,

I have had 2 children after having an embolization on my AVM. I too have had both children via c-section, totally awake. The first child I was going to try and have her naturally, having an epidural at the early stages of my dialating. However, she had a huge head and did not progress after 6 hours, so they just went in and got here. I felt contractions and so I feel I got enough of the natural birthing process that with number 2, he was scheduled for c-section. I was grateful after, he turned out to be 9lbs 10oz… I have had mutiple angios after both children and thankfully to this day I am 100% cured. I am grateful for my doctor, he is amazing and helps many people and children every day! I was fortunate before having children that my avm was outside my skull under my skin in my left temporal area, so my course of treatment for it was embolization with alcohol.

Best of luck!!!
Charlene(new to this website) I am on the other one and my story is there!

Kristy
I was diagnosed when I was eleven and was told I could not have children only after I was pregnant with my son. They really did not want me to go through with it but I took the risk and actually came up with having a c-section myself. Needless to say my son was born and now has one of his own and I had a second, my daughter also by c-section, and she has two children.

Kristy,

I was diagnosed with my AVm while I 20 weeks pregnant. I had to have a c-section early and then two months later had 2 embolizations procedures and then a craniotomy to resect the AVM. Two year later I fought with my OB to give a natural birth a “good ole’ college try” (With approval from Neurosurgeon, of coarse). I was induced at 2:30 pm, started pushing at 10:30 pm and was holding a beautiful baby girl. My Ob was pleasantly surprised at how well it went. Looking back, I don’t know if I would take the risk of the natural birth again. I think I would play it safe with a c-section. No sense putting all that extra pressure on your brain!

Good luck and God bless,

Bonnie

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions! It’s really encouraging that there are other people who have gone down this path with similar circumstances.

I’ll keep you updated :slight_smile:

Everyone - Hi, I’m new to this group. My daughter had a bleed in May and the AVM was removed 3 weeks later. She is 10 years old now. No one mentioned that childbirth might be an issue. Obviously this isn’t an immediate concern, but I was wondering if she would still be at risk since the AVM was removed. She’ll go back to the neurosurgeon in July, so I can ask then. Is the risk at delivery, or throughout the pregnancy?

I have three children ::: I was very young 'at 16 I had my first at 21 I was done. They were all natural births. However I did’nt know I had a AVM at that time . I may have been afraid And not had any :but sure am glad I did. BEST LUCK TO YOU

I ment I had My last at 21 !

I have inoperable AVM in the middle of my brain. I’m currently 3 months pregnant and will have a c-section, which is more common in Taiwan anyway. Should I inform my doctor I want to have the baby before it’s due date?

I was pregnant with an AVM as well. They would not let me go to my due date. No problems at that time and delivered a 9 pound baby boy, who is now 20 years old. I had to be put to sleep 2 weeks prior to my due date.

Well the good news is that everything is going ok. Im now nearly 6 months pregnant, and feeling great. As soon as I knew, I was referred to a high risk OB, and it will be him who does the c section (A natural birth is completely ruled out). He doesn’t want to wait to full term, and has booked me in for the c section in week 37.
Samandra - I would discuss this with your OB, but see what they want to do. Each case is a lil different, and you might even be fine to carry to full term…
Good luck!

I’ll check into it. Thankfully my Taiwanese doctor speaks english really well!

Kirsty said:

Well the good news is that everything is going ok. Im now nearly 6 months pregnant, and feeling great. As soon as I knew, I was referred to a high risk OB, and it will be him who does the c section (A natural birth is completely ruled out). He doesn’t want to wait to full term, and has booked me in for the c section in week 37.
Samandra - I would discuss this with your OB, but see what they want to do. Each case is a lil different, and you might even be fine to carry to full term…

Good luck!

I had an AVM removed through a crainototmy and had two vaginal births after without complication. my first delivery was two years later and the second was six. both babies and i are all fine and healthy.
good luck
sommer

Hi Kirsty,
I had three children all by C-section but it was just coincidence. I did not find out about my AVM until this past December. I guess God was watching over me… I was so disappointed I didn’t have natural childbirth but now I understand why that happened. If I had natural childbirth maybe my AVM would have ruptured. I guess I’ll never know!

Rachel

Just an update…the doctor said c-section, epidural and at 38 weeks. Now I just need to decide on my baby’s birthday!

Samandra Moore said:

I have inoperable AVM in the middle of my brain. I’m currently 3 months pregnant and will have a c-section, which is more common in Taiwan anyway. Should I inform my doctor I want to have the baby before it’s due date?