Post Op Mania

Today is two weeks since my husband's successful AVM resection.

After a few days at home, I realized that my normally introverted husband, was now quite the chatterbox. I mentioned this when we went in to get the staples removed and they said to call if it worsened. Sure enough, he started getting aggressive and paranoid. He couldn't sleep, white noise was amplified, and he was heading towards panic attacks. I figured out it was the anti-seizure med, Keppra, giving him manic side effects, so I stopped giving it to him. I spoke to the doctor's staff and they agreed stopping, and didn't prescribe anything new. He calmed back down, was able to sleep, but he's still a chatterbox. I'm trying not to make mountains out of molehills, I'm very thankful at the amazing job our surgeon did. He's still having trouble reading/writing, but he can do it if pressed, so I know that will come back once the swelling is down. The double vision he's experiencing periodically is also from the swelling around his eye. They said 6-8 weeks, and I'm already amazed at where he is in only two weeks.

I'm just wondering if what I'm seeing is a normal side effect of brain swelling. Anyone else experience noticeable personality changes but with no other obvious deficits? Did it eventually go away or was it permanent? Thanks.

Hi Leeka, Good for you for posting this discussion. I also commend you for checking with the physician's office after stopping the Keppra although I really have no experience with that medication. My first AVM was made inert through embolizations and I feel like a different person in many ways now. Actually, my neurologist told me that I was welcome when I told him I was extremely positive and sweet now ... lol. Anyways, I feel lucky to be alive and so grateful for the many blessings in my life including my husband, children, our cats, good friends, this website, and I could go on and on. Oh, I couldn't read and retain anything for about 1 year after my bleed and I had problems with double vision so I was prescribed glasses with prisms. I had trouble with the glasses so I ended up having eye surgery. I still can't drive and I tried working at my former job as an accountant for 1 day a week and had to stop although I also had to have my 2nd AVM radiated. So, I will check to read other comments but my guess is that your husband needs much more recovery time.

We do hear about personality changes after avm surgery sometimes, Leeka, but I would say it is much too soon to talk about permanence. Try to take it one day at a time. It is still very early days. It sounds like all in all, your husband is doing quite well. I trust he will continue to improve. Keep us posted. We are rooting for you both!

Hi. I know not to long ago I found on this site someone who talked about personality change after brain surgery. we are all different that's fore sure but when I read it I found myself crying because I could relate to so much of it. like dancermom said it is still very early in the recovery stage to prdict forever change. I wish you and your husband all the best and stay strong for him as he will need you more than ever now. God bless and keep us posted

Hi Leeka,

I have just seen your post and can relate to most of it, I have recently been changed from tegratol to Keppra and have experienced lots of differnt side effect from the drug including loss of appetite , sleeplessness, and now a stutter in my voice.

a lot of the things you mention will probably be down to a combination of the resection and the medication. reading and writing does improve eventually it just takes time and thats the key factor here its all about "time" and its different for everyone since I had my bleed and seizure in july in my right front lobe last year and avm removed via surgery I have some real difficulties in taking information in and storing it and my spelling is terrible "thank god for spell check" lol and ive recently discovered I can no longer play the piano or guitar which I used to be able to play brilliantly. but I am relearning now as we speak and every day is an improvement. fatigue and tiredness can also play a big role in how our brains work when we get tired things can quickly overcome us. personality changes are not uncommon and you may find that he has a shorter fuse than normal but it does improve with time.

There was a post a few days ago about " What a brain injury survivor wants you to know" I think it would be very beneficial if you read that as it does describe in an excellent way about what us survivors feel and go through and it may be worth printing a copy of it and keeping it somewhere as it may help you to understand the challenges we face and give you strength in yourself to be able to understand the effects of what your husband has.

stay strong and thank you for your post and remember we are all here for you to help you and support you and your husband through this time.

hope this helps you in some way Leeka

Darren xxx