Post angio

Today is day six after my angiogram. I am extremely uncomfortable in the back of my neck. Sometimes it radiates up my head and into my jaw. I do know that when they injected the dye and the doctor said this is going to burn a little I became very tense and pretty well elevated off the table. Burn a little ??? I see my GP tomorrow, I was just wondering if anyone else noticed discomfort in their neck. Thanks in advance. Steph

Hi Stephanie, I have had 3 angiograms and have never had any discomfort what so ever in my neck/head, only where they inserted it in the artery in my groin and that was just from the healing process for a couple of days. It is good that you are seeing your GP tomorrow but I think you should talk to/contact your neurosurgeon also - phone and tell his assistant what is going on and get them to talk to the neurosurgeon asap. That is just my opinion. During my whole process, for over 3 years my initial contact for anything concerning my AVM was with my neurosurgeon and he just updated my GP regarding it. I realize though that things are dealt with in different ways in different places. Please let us know how things go.

Elaine

My neck is definitely inflamed. I have been alternating between heat and ice all day. It maybe completely unrelated to the angio. I’m currently in the paranoid phase after AVM discovery.

Laine Hudson said:

Hi Stephanie, I have had 3 angiograms and have never had any discomfort what so ever in my neck/head, only where they inserted it in the artery in my groin and that was just from the healing process for a couple of days. It is good that you are seeing your GP tomorrow but I think you should talk to/contact your neurosurgeon also - phone and tell his assistant what is going on and get them to talk to the neurosurgeon asap. That is just my opinion. During my whole process, for over 3 years my initial contact for anything concerning my AVM was with my neurosurgeon and he just updated my GP regarding it. I realize though that things are dealt with in different ways in different places. Please let us know how things go.

Elaine

Most neurosurgeons have someone who monitors their calls even in the evenings. Call and leave a message. Someone will probably call you back.

Stephanie, I really think you should go to emerg and have this checked out. They won’t think it is unreasonable because you had the angio and that pain in your jaw just sounds odd. Let us know how you are.

I have to agree with Joy. Why be miserable and worried all night! Please keep us posted!

I saw my GP today. I have a pulled muscle in my neck and my groin is very bruised. (I now have a good understanding of the muscles in my neck as well as nerve bundles :) She was very patient and understanding. She was very reassuring and encouraged me to continuing living my life with awareness but not to let the AVM consume me. I left feeling more positive.

Unlike mainly people here I have not had a bleed. My AVM was discovered by "accident". The neuro(s) and my GP agree that my headaches are unrelated. But the woshing sound is definately AVM :) She assured me I would know if something was up with the AVM.

My family and I are creating a new normal and have a few stategies in place in the event of an emergency. I live three hours away from TWH and the neurology team but with a few plans in place I feel more confident. Did you know you should keep your medical records in your fridge because that's where EMS will look??

Thank you once again for your on going support. Steph

Hi Stephanie:

I am glad that you had a positive meeting with your GP yesterday. She is so right about not letting it rule your life but to be aware. I apologize, I didn't realize that you were so newly diagnosed. It is also extremely good that you are in Canada so that treatment wise you don't have to make decisions worrying about the cost of it or if your insurance will cover everything that you need. I live in Canada also and was diagnosed just by accident too. When my GP got the results of the CAT scan back, he called me at work and told me that I would have to see a neurosurgeon. My response was ok, when I have time, I'm busy right now with end of year stuff. He said "No Elaine. Get out of your chair, put your coat on, get in the car and drive to Halifax; the neurosurgeon is waiting for you" So for a change I listened and did it. This was late November and on January 21 I had steriotactic radial surgery (please forgive the spelling mistakes - my brain and fingers aren't getting along today :-) ). I didn't stress about it, things just needed done and my neuro team were great. I guess I didn't have too much time to stress about it. Please feel free to contact me if you want to, I'm around and would be more than happy to "talk".

All the best

Elaine

Hope you feel better soon!

Hope you feel better soon!

I received a call yesterday from my GP. My iron and platlet levels are very low. For the time being I will take 600mg of iron and retest next month. That explains the severe bruising and exhaustion. I am so glad I can share this with people here. It's a little too mundane to my family who sometimes looks at me like my head may explode at any moment :)

Oh and I am also reading "A Stoke of Insight". Amazing book if you haven't read it yet.

Happy weekend. Steph

Hi, burn a little, that's what they tell you, I found it very hard to take, bloody painful. I got pain in my jaw and my jaw locked when they injected the dye though at one stage so was a little bit sore but only for that day. I am glad you went to the doctor, don't take any risks, if you are worried ring someone.

take care

DM