Please Let me introduce myself

My name is Mike O’Brien, I am 63-years young and a survivor of a bad AVM in my Occipatol Lobe. Aug. 22 2006. I am still undergowing Rehabilation Therapy and have not yet been cleared to drive. I was on top of the World the day before my brain injury. Best Job of my Life, City Manager in a small town North of Columbus Ohio. Making good money, blessed with a huge family (14 Grand Kidlets) and maybe a little full of myself. I refer to myself as the Theif on the cross that Jesus forgave. During my 6-week recovery in Surgical ICU I was in a coma, I do remember being terrified. I knew I was in some kinfd of serious trouble. I accepted Jesus many years ago. Howwever I was afraid that I may have become a lazy Christian and possibly not thankful enough for my life. I can remember kneeling before the God and begging forgiveness for any unrepentant sins, including being ungrateful for much of what I had already been blessed with. I then found myself on a long pathway through a forest, still very much concerned at what had happened to me. I remember repeating over and over the 23rd. Psalm. I then became aware that I was not alone. In fact, I felt a pressure on my sholder and realized it was someone’s hand. Then I know who it was, Jesus was walking with me. I felt as though He was holdiong me in His arms. I knew that he had forgivern me of all human failings, and was in control. I was and remain to this day completely in his loving care. H blesse me with the best surgeon, Nurses and Therapists. I now know what is important in life. My Family, My friends, and my wonderful wife Shirley who literally was a gift from God. We have been married 24-years ago. I often thought I “needed to find myself” You know "Middle Age Crazy"
Shirley has shown me what true love is. She remains at my side and will forever. She is a blessing. I am so joyous! Every Day is like resurection morning! I know I am a better person because I am clean, saved and being healed. God is now in control of my Life. I am no longer afraid or even concerned for my future. I received the gift of a book othis past Christmas called The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren. What WOINDERFUL BOOK. i HIGHLY RECOMEND IT. i HOPE TO GET A DEGREE IN PHYSOCHOLOGY. AND BECOME A cHAPLAIN. sO MANY PEOPLE ARE IN OUR shape and don’t kow where to turn. I hope to be able to meet you all, and look forward to new friendships. God Bless you all,
Mike O’Brien

Dear Mike,
Welcome! It sounds like you have a strong faith and support system of loving family and friends. Your courage and positive attitude are inspiring. Here on this site you will find lots of people who have had similar AVM experiences, and I hope it gives you the same comfort it does me. Sometimes it is nice to be able to talk to people who really understand what you are going through. Nice to meet you!

Sincerely,
Marilyn

Hi Mike
Itsgreat you are so positive and have a strong faith. I dodn’t think i really know where i am with that yet. But so glad to meet and this is a great site to meet people who understand what avm is (never heard of it before oct 07).
Regards
AmandaG

Marilyn: Thank you for the warm welcome. I look forward to hearing your story. God Bless you,
Mike

Hi Amanda. Thank you for your welcome. I look forward to getting to know you.
God Bless,
Mike O’Brien

Welcome, Mike. I too am grateful for every day that God is giving me. He has seen me through a lot of hard times and is continuing to hold me up now.

Connie: God will continue to bless you if you stay close to Him.
Bless you my "new"friend,
Mike

Mike,
Nice to meet you, I am glad that you found us. My AVM experience allowed me to realize what strong love that my Savior had for me. He was not walking beside me, he was carrying me. I know I had a couple of crazy moments during my early recovery but all in all it was the most eye opening experience of my life. It made me realize what was important and helped put things in perspective. I am 10 years post surgery, just got married, have a beautiful son and although worried about one more surgery, have a very happy and content life. God Bless and take care.

Wonderful introduction Mike. Welcome to our family. What you wrote is so true, staying safe in Jesus is the way!!! The Purpose Driven is an excellent book I read it a few years ago and it has truly changed my life. God Bless You and Your Family. You will enjoy our little group, Liam is our guide and Marilyn she is our sweetie. But then everyone here is just he greatest. We owe Ben a great deal of thanks for setting up this website and maintaining it so well.
Dianna

We have such a great group of people here but there is one that I forgot to say hi to, thats Connie, she is our scrapper (scrapbooking) queen and always happy to listen to you when you are feeling down ,are just need someone to talk to. Thanks Connie

Thank you, Dianna! I’ve been thinking about you and wondering how you’re doing.

Hi Susan, Happy to meet you. God Bless,
Mike

Welcome, Mike! I’m glad you found our group! =)