Please help - need to know if this is normal

Hi everyone,

I had a craniotomy on 12/4/08. The doctor was very sweet about not shaving my head. Some hair, of course, was lost around the 8 inch incision, but in the last 2 months, I’ve lost even more hair and now have a quarter-sized diameter of shiny baldness around the cut. Have any of you experienced this? Will it grow back? How long does it take and is there something I should be doing to help it?

Also, if you look at my picture, I have a horrible depressed scar over my eyebrows from the bandage they put on after the craniotomy being too tight. There is also nerve damage in my forehead from the tight bandage. Has anyone had this happen? Does anyone know of any cosmetic spackle I can use to fill this in so that I don’t look so strange. Thank you from my heart for any advice.

Hello I had a my first craniotomy 1/18/07 and then my second 10/31/07 and I am just now starting to grow some hair back around the incision. Also are you on any seizure medications…my doc told me that was probably part of the reason why my hair was falling out directly after surgery because I had never taken any before. But my hair is growing back finally…it is about 1.5 inches and sticks straight up and is very annoying. hahah.

I was on seizure meds for the first 3 weeks after surgery, and I have never taken them before. Thank you for answering - I’m glad to hear your hair is growing back! Did you have totally bald, shiny spots with no stubble at first?

yes totally bald for at least 8 months! I thought it was going to be that way for ever!!! But luckily it started to grow back about 6 months ago. :slight_smile:

God bless you. Thank you for relieving my mind (no pun intended). Btw, I read a little bit about your situation and am so sorry for what you’ve gone through. I think it’s totally normal to feel upset, angry, and depressed at times - I know I do, and I don’t think I’ve had to bear nearly as much as you. I am going to talk with someone professionally about it next week and would encourage you to try that as well if you’ve not already. Most insurances will cover it, and you’ll only have to pay a copay. You look beautiful, btw. Hang in there.

Awe Stacia,
Thank you so much for being concerned. I did talk with a professional 3 times and it really really helped. After those 3 visits I feel like I was able to move on and just be happy with being who I am. I would not have changed a SINGLE thing that has happened to me because it has made me who I am today. And I am so THankful for that. I feel like I am in a good place now with everything that happened to me and I was able to slowly forget all the horrible memories. (lol didnt really forget but…dont think about them very often anyway)
I really hope that next week goes well for you and that eventually you will be where I am now. But realize everyone has moments of depression and anger and that is a normal part of life. It is just how frequent it is when it can become a problem. :slight_smile: Let me know how things go.

i had to have my hair shaved and it took forever to grow back…it was believed it was due to the 3 embolisations apparently it reduces the blood flow to the scalp…not sure if you had embolisation prior to your surgery but if you did this could be why…

Hi Stacia
I only had embolisation but half my hair fell out, but after about six months it started to grow back, I have straight hair but the new stuff it curly (weird!)
My hairdresser also told me to take sea kelp and brewers yeast tablets to encourage it to grow back, hope this helps.