Pituitary tumor

I just wanted to ask if anyone else has been diagnosed with a pituitary tumor resulting from radiation of an AVM. I had radiation three years ago and have been on steroids now for eighteen months to reduce swelling. I started tapering off about five months ago and was referred to an Endocrinologist to help. She ordered a load of blood tests which resulted in high Somendicin C. I then had an MRI of the pituitary and received a phone call from her office yesterday telling me I had a 5mm growth on my pituitary and that they would monitor it and see me back in three months. I’m devistated. Anyone else in this position?

Hi Julia,

I didn’t have an AVM radiated, but I have a pituitary tumor, which happens to be the same size as yours.

I’m confused by the fact that the tumor was caused by radiation since that is one of the treatment methods used to eradicate them. I was told by my doctor who discovered it that I may have had mine for a very long time, and it was only discovered when the doctor was specifically looking at my pituitary gland because I was having issues with double vision.

The good news is that 98 percent of them are benign. The problem with them lies in the fact that they can secrete hormones, such as Somendicin C, that messes up other things in your body. if they are secreting hormones that are affecting one’s health, they are removed and possible treated with radiation afterward to prevent them from coming back. I think there also may be drugs that one can take, but don’t quote me on that.

As a matter of fact, I’m having some testing done tomorrow to see if my elevated levels of blood sugar are an indication of pre-diabetes or if the pituitary tumor is secreting hormones that are causing my blood sugar to be elevated. Up until now, my tumor was though to be non-secreting, so all that has been done has been to do an annual MRI to see if the size has changed. After 12 years of MRIs, it hasn’t.

I hope all of this gets straightened out.

Best wishes,

Debbie

Debbie,

Thanks so much for filling me in. I have an appointment with my doctor on Monday and will prepare a list of questions to ask her. All I know at this point is that my pituitary growth is non cancerous And that they just want to monitor it for the time being. I too am confused about what has caused the tumor, hopefully she will be able to clarify. I went online and read somewhere that they can be caused
by radiation so I assumed that the radiation I had for my avm was to blame. Do you have an AVM?

Debbie Considine said:

Hi Julia,

I didn’t have an AVM radiated, but I have a pituitary tumor, which happens to be the same size as yours.

I’m confused by the fact that the tumor was caused by radiation since that is one of the treatment methods used to eradicate them. I was told by my doctor who discovered it that I may have had mine for a very long time, and it was only discovered when the doctor was specifically looking at my pituitary gland because I was having issues with double vision.

The good news is that 98 percent of them are benign. The problem with them lies in the fact that they can secrete hormones, such as Somendicin C, that messes up other things in your body. if they are secreting hormones that are affecting one’s health, they are removed and possible treated with radiation afterward to prevent them from coming back. I think there also may be drugs that one can take, but don’t quote me on that.

As a matter of fact, I’m having some testing done tomorrow to see if my elevated levels of blood sugar are an indication of pre-diabetes or if the pituitary tumor is secreting hormones that are causing my blood sugar to be elevated. Up until now, my tumor was though to be non-secreting, so all that has been done has been to do an annual MRI to see if the size has changed. After 12 years of MRIs, it hasn’t.

Best wishes,

Debbie

Debbie,

Let me know when you get your results. I will be interested to hear.

Debbie Considine said:

Hi Julia,

Best wishes,

Debbie