Parenting post-AVM? Any Suggestions?

Anyone else parenting young children post-AVM? What a challange? I was once very active ang involved. I am nowALL ABOUT ME and my recovery. I want to actively participate in my own life I am not an uber–mommy anymore and I get the feeling they resent the new me? Suggestions? Apparently I got old sooner than I planned with 6yes6 kids under15 sigh…Nicole L.

Hi Nicole,

Gotta give yourself time to heal. Explain to the older kids that Mom needs rest too, and enlist their help.

Ron, KS

Ron, KS said:

Hi Nicole,

Gotta give yourself time to heal. Explain to the older kids that Mom needs rest too, and enlist their help.THAMKS RON, SOME ARE GREAT HELPERSsome of mine (daughter) are bitterI think its a great policy and I sure could use the help! ARE YOU IN KANSAS? I LIVED IN OLATHE/OP FOR 4 YEARS!THANKS FOR ADVICE *nNICOLE

Ron, KS

We have three children. They are all dealing with my AVM in different ways but my oldest can express herself the best. She has questioned why AVM needs to be treated at all. She is concerned how treatment will affect me, her and our sense of normal. I have always put my family first so it’s a huge adjustment for everyone that I need time to take care of me. I have know great words of wisdom but I do understand. I’m currently trying to create a new normal for all of us.

`NICOLE, I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT U R GOING THRU. I JUST HAD SURGERY ON MARCH 15 OF THIS YEAR. I ALSO HAVE 4 CHILDREN UNDER THE AGE OF 13 AND 2 OF MY CHILDREN ARE ADHD, AND CAN BE A REAL CHALLENGE. IT HAS BEEN REAL HARD FOR ALL OF US. I HAVE ALWAYS PUT MY FAMILY FIRST BEFORE ME. THIS TIME I HAD TO PUT MYSELF FIRST AND FELT A LITTLE SELFISH. ESPICALLY SINCE I AM TIRED ALL THE TIME AND DON’T HAVE MUCH ENERGY TO DO ANYTHING YET. IN A WAY I USE TO BE SUPER MOM UNTIL A COUPLE OF YRS AGO WHEN I STARTED HAVING CHRONIC HEADACHES AND MIGRANES. SO MY DAYS CONSISTED OF WORK AND SLEEP. I GUESS AFTER SURGERY I EXPECTED TO PICK UP WHERE MY LIFE LEFT OFF. TALK ABOUT BEING DELUSIONAL HA HA!! I KEEP REMINDING MY SELF I NEED TIME TO RECOVER AND JUST TAKE IT ONE DAY AT A TIME. ITS REALLY HARD AND I GET DEPRESSED AND WANT TO CRY. BUT WHAT ELSE CAN I DO. MY HUSBAND AND KIDS TRY TO HELP BUT I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN VERY INDEPENDENT AND DO FOR EVERYONE ELSE NOW THE SHOE IS ON THE OTHER FOOT. WE CAN DO THIS, THIS IS JUST A BUMP IN THE ROAD IN BOTH ARE LIVES. LOTS OF PRAYERS AND GOOD DAYS AND MEMORIES TO COME!!! TONNA

It is my loss of independence that weighs on me the most. It is good to hear from other parents going through the same struggles---It is as if I have become the child in some respectsI like tyhe bump in the road analogy,thank you, I ache to get back on the road--not the highway though, I'm kinda liking this left-brain existance, the left brain is a vvery peaceful place, I could stand to be a little more motivated in regard to my recovery though; however, in the mean time I will enjoy this quiet time in this peaceful place!

Thank-you to all my new friends here!

Nicole

LIKE U I'M TRYING TO ENJOY THE RECOVERY WHILE I CAN BUT ITS HARD STAYING POSITVE SOMETIMES, I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN ON THE GO SOMEDAYS I FORGET AND DO SOMETHING THAT PUTS ME ON MY BUTT. I FORGET I JUST HAD SURGERY. I STILL HAVEN'T GOTTEN USE TO THE IDEA I HAD BRAIN SURGERY!!! I STILL HAVEN'T GOTTEN USE TO THE HOLE IDEA I GUESS I HAVEN'T ACCEPTED THIS CHANGE IN MY LIFE. THINGS WENT REALLY FAST. AND THE IDEA HAVING TO GO THRU SPEECH THEARPY FOR COGNITIVE DEFICITS HAS HIT ME HARDER!! BUT TRYING TO TAKE IT IN STRIDE. WE ARE GOING TO GET THRU THIS. EVEN WRITTING THESE POST TAKE MORE THOUGHT NOW THAN WHAT THEY USE TO AND ALOT OF EDITING LOL !! LIKE YOU IM NOT READY FOR THE HIGHWAY !! HERES TO THE BUMPS NICOLE !! LOTS OF LOVE N PRAYERS.

TONNA

ona,

Thank you Duh Sometimes I forget 'm not ujst rcoveringfrom surgery I am recovering fom Brain surgery! Good point!

Thanks, Nicole*I needed that!