One year anniversary

Oh Monica, I didn't see this thread - glad to see you're doing okay.

7/11 will be my 14-year anniversary since I had my AVM removed. I was pretty young when I was diagnosed. I lived in fear every day. I thought that every night, might be the night that I would not wake up. I thought that everyday would be my last.

When my surgery date actually came, I was scared. I was a kid. I tried not to cry, but hospitals are just not happy places. I was cold, it was dark, austere, and sterile. I knew that if the operation was not successful, that these would be the last few moments I had.

I tried to remember the happiest moments of my life - to relive those moments in what might be my last. But I didn't have many, I mean, I was barely a teenager.

and that was when I promised myself that I would not waste a moment of my life again. I promised myself that I would live each day to the fullest, that I would see the world and experience life to the fullest. If and when I woke up.

My operation was a success (clearly :) I had a slight complication and I am blind in one eye, but I take that as a reminder to live to my promise every day.

Since then, I've finished college. Lived in London, travelled to amazing places. I have climbed mountains all around the world, seen the Sahara and the Atlantic Ocean (at the same time). I've thrown caution to the wind, and followed my heart. I have loved, and lost. I earned two masters degrees. I sing, I dance, I have made the best friends ever, and I have made sure to spend time with my family. My AVM experience has defined me, and gave me purpose, I am working towards becoming a medical doctor and I hope one day I can help others in the same way I was helped.

I still live every day like it is my last, but I don't do it in fear anymore, because if and when I find myself in that dark, cold, sterile room again, I will have had a life worth remembering.

Congratulations on your 1 year!

Hi Anbabelles mom :slight_smile: thanks for sharing! Cant imagine going through an avm at such a young age but im sure shes a very strong , courageous girl! Love the idea of distracting her on her anniversary day with friends, family, and food :slight_smile:

Positive thoughts and vibes your way, stay strong :slight_smile:

Blessed! Good to hear youre staying positive :slight_smile:

Love your outlook and strength! Thamks for sharing!