October 28, 2010

I saw Dr. Rockhill for the first time, after being refered by Dr. Hallam, for my Gamma Knife Surgery consult. I already knew alot about the procedure from what I read online and the videos I watch on youtube. I felt like it would be a good idea to have as much knowlege as possable to ask the best questions. What happened next I was not prepared for. He told me that most of the symptoms I am having is from the AVM but some of the symptons could not be explained, like the fact that my AVM is on the left side of my brain and the numbness and tingling was in my left arm, so they are thinking that I am having epileptic seizures. They started me on Keppra 500mg twice a day. It is probable a good idea that they start it know considering that I might have a seizure after my surgery.

Dr. Rockhill is amazing, he is very straight forword which I love. Being in the medical field I already understood alot of the risk and complications that can come along with the surgery. They did go on and on about how my AVM is in "high real estate". If there are any complication I could have numbeness and motor difficulty on my right side, as well as speech impairment and my thinking process.

I am VERY nervous about everything. I am very young and have very small children. I want to be around long enough to see them grow up. So I do understand that there is risk doing the procedure and there is a risk to doing nothing. Because I am so young I am going to proceed with with the surgery, I want to get this AVM taken care of even with knowing all the risks.

I dont kow when the surgery is yet. They are going to do a functioning MRI and a CT angiogram. As soon as I know I will let everyone know.