Nutrition and AVM

Here is the link to today's blog post. Just been to the dietitian at the hospital and she told me a load of good things and gave me the kick up the backside that I needed. Still think it's going to be tough to get back up to where I used to be, but pleased that I actually went. She also told me that she thought it was my dramatic weight loss (33% of body weight) three years ago that could have sparked my AVM and caused it to rupture. I don't know whether to be thankful for it or not!

Hope you've had a good start to the week!

I don’t believe it. Most Doctors won’t speculate on why some AVMs bleed and others do not(because they don’t know and they admit it). I hardly think I’d take the word of a dietician. It makes me angry that she implied that you were somehow responsible for the bleed.

Actually, the dietician has some scientific basis for her statement. Vitamin C deficiency causes purpura, which is a breakage in blood vessels. AVMs are made of fragile vessels to begin with, and a vitamin C deficiency could certainly increase the chance of hemorrhage. A real dietician (not at a commercial weight loss clinic) can be a serious ally in treating all kind of diseases, and nutrition can be effective medicine.

Hmm I'm really not sure. I suppose I just take what everyone says with a pinch of salt as everything I'm dealing seems to differ from the norm! My intake was pretty terrible and has been for the last two or three years so it's possible, but at the same time she really didn't make me feel better when she said that. And yes, I was super low in vitamin C as well! Fingers crossed that'll all change pretty soon!

While I agree nutrition can play a part, it is presumptuous of a dietitian to say for sure it was due to to that. What if it she is wrong. That is a horrible thing to say to someone if you aren’t sure.

i was actually told by a doc recently to start taking vitamin c so i'm glad to see the explanation from dancermom. makes sense