Nominations for Group Theme Song

So, we have a family who is, well let’s put it this way. 4 out of 5 of them are considered top talents in their “instruments” and it is a full time job for two of them.

When they first heard what happened to my hearing and everything, they dropped off their copy of “Musicophilia” by Oliver Sack. It is an amazing book with really interesting stories and research about the brain and music. I find it ironic that I haven’t been able to finish it because my eyes have a hard time seeing the words on the page - and then headaches…

Anyway, it started maybe a month ago, but I started noticing that I had a song playing on my internal radio all of the time while I’m awake. It was an amazing and eclectic selection of music - from Pink Floyd to Julie Andrews in Sound of Music to Tevye in The Fiddler on the Roof, to Hymns like “Great is thy faithfulness”, to Liberian praise music to Michael W. Smith to Toby Mac, to the Hallelujah chorus in Handel’s Messiah.

One song started working it’s way to the top of my subconscious list (I have no music playing that other people can hear, it’s all in my head.). What was that song?

Help! By the Beatles.

I was amazed at how much it mimics my story and I have a feeling probably many of ours too.

“Help me if you can I’m feeling down.
But I do appreciate you being round.
Help me get my feet black on the ground.
Won’t emphasized textyou please help me?”

“When I was younger, so much younger than today
I never needed anybody’s help in any way
(Now) but now these days are gone (these days are gone) I’m not so self-assured (and now I find)
Now I find, I’ve changed my mind, I’ve opened up the doors”

I don’t know about you all, but the two hardest things for me with this whole mess have been needing help and admitting it, and not being able to help others who need it.

The Beatles - arguably the most popular band in our times. And they wrote about the struggles of dealing chronic diseases. Go figure…

TJ

So, I nominate “Help” by the Beatles to be the group theme song.

4 Likes

I think it’s great idea

Try listening to “Thrive” by Casting Crowns… as we are all survivors, strong and need to thrive.

1 Like