New pulsatile tinnitus

I had a DAVF diagnosed 2011 plus small carotid anuerysm . pulsatile tinnitus behind left ear. it was decided by consultant not to intervene. however ive noticed was sounds like pulsatile tinnitus behind my right ear. my question is, could i have developed a new DAVF on the other side of my head.

1 Like

I would certainly get it followed up on. I have pulsatile tinnitus, my AVM is gone and it really hasnā€™t changed. There are a number of reasons it is present, most often related to blood flow, but not always. I always find it ā€œcoincidentalā€ that I had an AVM and pulsatile but not relatedā€¦mine believed to be related to eustachian tubes potentially. Certainly worth following up, Iā€™m used to mine now and have to listen to hear it. Take Care, John.

1 Like

@tinysilky

The other possibility is that the sound is playing through your transverse sinus to the opposite ear. My DAVF was discharging into my transverse sinus and I could hear the pulsatile tinnitus in both ears, which was what put my GP off course initially, as she didnā€™t think Iā€™d get PT from one source in both ears, but I did.

The transverse sinus effectively joins across the back of your head between your sigmoid sinuses. In general it is there to allow your superior saggital sinus to drain down both sides but with a strong PT, Iā€™m guessing it could be pumping and heard on both sides if it is a high enough flow DAVF.

My view would be to get checked out, especially if it is a new change.

Hope this helps,

Richard

1 Like

Thank you for your reply, Yes sounds very likely what you say, I went to Walton Centre in Liverpool las t Monday and had an MRI scan, No results as yet, hopefully they can tell me if any changes have taken place, ill let you know how I go on. Thanks

2 Likes

Good luck! Iā€™ll be very interested in how you get on and what they might tell you.

Very best wishes!

1 Like

@tinysilky glad you got it scanned as my neuro radiologist said that it is possible to have a DAVF on both sides and thatā€™s why he likes to go through the groin for his angiograms and not through the arms as they can only look at the one side .
Best of luck
I do also know they have hearing aids now that help with Pt .
Angela

1 Like

Anything can happen. I would get it checked out.

I went to Walton centre for MRI scan a week ago but havenā€™t had any results yet hoping thatā€™s a good thing,thanks

2 Likes

I hope itā€™s a good thing, too!

ā€¦ I wonā€™t tell you my experience of waiting for MRIs, itā€™s depressing.

My Results from walton Centre, Liverpool showed that neither my DAVF or Aneurysm had shown any changes, however, I have noticed that in the past couple of weeks my pulsatile tinnitus seems to have dissapeared, i suppose i should be glad about this but i think I remembered reading somewhere once that this could be a bad thing and meant the blood flow had found a different route, Any information on this would be good, im getting a bit worried now.

@tinysilky

Hello! Itā€™s good to hear from you again!

I think if youā€™ve had an MRI that shows nothing and the pulsatile tinnitus has gone away, Iā€™d encourage you to relax and put it behind you. I am sure that part of me taking a long time to feel better was continuing to worry about my head and self-analyse all of the odd feelings I had. Having had an ā€œall clearā€ MRI verdict, I encouraged myself to forget it and put it behind me and Iā€™ve been a lot better since.

Honest.

Sending you my very best wishes,

Richard

The MRI didnt show nothing the DAVF and Aneurysm are still there but not altered, I do try to forget about them but its was just a cause for concern when the Tinnitus stopped I still have all the other Symptoms , bad headaches, dizziness etc but since I was diagnosed in 2011 I have learned to live with it, anyway Ill try to put it out of my mind, not a good time to get a Doctors appointment at the moment anyway. Hope you are well

Iā€™m doing very well, thank you.

Lockdown isnā€™t suiting me very well and combined with the very cold weather, I havenā€™t done enough exercise recently. I wanted to get out yesterday and today in the warmer weather but I do some part-time (ā€œzero hoursā€ contract) work and, wouldnā€™t you know, Iā€™ve spent the last two days doing work at my desk! Typical! The rest of the month looks potentially very busy, too!

If the only thing you can do is ignore it, put it behind you, then I still recommend it.

Good luck!

Richard

Thanks Richard, I will try my best, probably makes things seem worse when we have to ā€˜stay homeā€™ Anyway all my Good wishes,

Anny