My transplant

Hey everyone. I’ve shared my story a while ago, and ever since then my symptoms have gotten worse. O2 levels were sitting at around 60 and I couldn’t walk or stand for more than 10 seconds at a time without exhausting myself.
Late September I was officially put on the lung transplant registry in Ontario. November 27th I was called in at 10am as there were lung’s available.
On the morning of the 28th the surgery began. The surgery lasted 8 hours, was extremely successful and there were no complications. I was in the icu for 12 days, and am expected to be discharged by mid-end of next week. Oxygen levels are resting at 95, I can walk, eat, and soon enough will be able to exercise fairly normally.
We received pictures of the old lungs and I still can’t comprehend the sheer amount of avms I could see. I understand that hht is rare, avms in the lungs are rare, and that out of all the patients with pavms I was of the sickest, but if anyone here has a bad case of avms in their lungs, there is lots of hope. As scared as I was going into this, it ended up going greatly, and was much less painful than I imagined. To anyone who needs/will need a transplant due to hht, there’s nothing to be scared of, and you will be ok.
I’m expected to make a full recovery within a couple months, and can finally be normal.
I fully hope this helps someone, and thanks for reading.

4 Likes

That is awesome to hear! Made my day for sure, and wishing you all the continued success. _lease let us know your first time in the gym, huge milestone. But, take it careful!

For those who haven’t considered being a donor, please get on the registry in your province, state, country…my donor card is in my wallet!

Take Care,

John

1 Like

Hi Toaster, That’s wonderful news. Best wishes, Greg

1 Like

Wow! Wow! Wow!

That is quite the big operation and fantastic news! I think after the mad, scary time you’ve had you deserve the best possible outcome. I hope everything continues to go exactly the right way.

As they say in the perfume adverts…

YOU’RE WORTH IT.

Well done! :tada::balloon::birthday::tada::partying_face::crossed_fingers:t3::crossed_fingers:t3::crossed_fingers:t3::christmas_tree:

Richard

1 Like

During an annual checkup a doctor noticed my lips were blue, so he checked my o2 stats and I was in the high 80s, so I went to a cardiologist, who referred me to the children’s hospital, they did a couple ct scans of the chest with contrast, and saw hundreds of them. They really only found out about the avms and hht with the ct scans.