My head is killing me!

I had a craniotomy after my AVM bled about 2 weeks ago, and the headaches are not getting any better. Is there anyone out there who had a craniotomy who can tell me how long I can expect to keep getting headaches or any good remedies…I feel soooo much pressure behind my skull. I can’t sleep

No first hand info, but I’d suggest calling the dr / surgeon’s number. I think Chari received some pretty potent pain meds for after, if she needed them, but I’d sure want to check with the DRs before I took anything that they didn’t authorize.

Do your discharge papers list any meds you can take?

Best wishes,
Ron

def. call your doctor. i had a crainiotomy in june i must have called my dr.s office 4-5 times a week till about a month ago. its not everyday someone gets this type of surgery, the dr and staff understand your concern dont be affraid to call .

Mary Kate have you tried ice packs ? The ice/heat reuseable gel packs are still my best sleeping partner… I know it sounds too simple and that we are all different ( my avm was way back , occipital ) BUT pain is pain and anything is worth a try .
Have you contacted your neuro-surgical team and informed them of pain/pressure symptoms ? Are you taking meds for pain and /or steroids for swelling and anti-seizure meds ? Some meds have side affects of head pain , ironic as that is .
Please call your physicians as you need to control the pain in order to get the rest and sleep you need to heal . You are amazing to be here , typing , reading and thinking and you deserve all of the help and guidance that your medical team can offer to you . Pain meds are a sticky issue with most neuros and sometimes they need to be reminded that pain is only usefull as an indicator that there is a problem . Once the problem is resolved the pain must be controlled to afford proper and mandatory rest and sleep to heal .
Some of the symptoms -to my experience- need more time to improve , can be longer or shorter periods of time for each individual . A craniotomy is a BIG surgery and the shock and trauma to the brain and body creates the need for a great deal of healing on multiple levels . You are working hard at healing and making yourself well every moment . It has only been a few weeks for you and you should be calling those neuros instead of reading me go on here .
I hope you call or have called your neuros .
Be good to you . Take care of you .

Thanks so much…Ice packs are so obvious…you don’t even think to use them after this. The ice made my head feel so much better

marianne elizondo said:

Mary Kate have you tried ice packs ? The ice/heat reuseable gel packs are still my best sleeping partner… I know it sounds too simple and that we are all different ( my avm was way back , occipital ) BUT pain is pain and anything is worth a try .
Have you contacted your neuro-surgical team and informed them of pain/pressure symptoms ? Are you taking meds for pain and /or steroids for swelling and anti-seizure meds ? Some meds have side affects of head pain , ironic as that is .
Please call your physicians as you need to control the pain in order to get the rest and sleep you need to heal . You are amazing to be here , typing , reading and thinking and you deserve all of the help and guidance that your medical team can offer to you . Pain meds are a sticky issue with most neuros and sometimes they need to be reminded that pain is only usefull as an indicator that there is a problem . Once the problem is resolved the pain must be controlled to afford proper and mandatory rest and sleep to heal .
Some of the symptoms -to my experience- need more time to improve , can be longer or shorter periods of time for each individual . A craniotomy is a BIG surgery and the shock and trauma to the brain and body creates the need for a great deal of healing on multiple levels . You are working hard at healing and making yourself well every moment . It has only been a few weeks for you and you should be calling those neuros instead of reading me go on here .
I hope you call or have called your neuros .
Be good to you . Take care of you .

I had a craniotomy done 04-11-09…Between first couple of months I had headaches…Im still having but there slight headaches my doctor said that headaches were expected…I dont think that there were that strongh like yours, you should talk to your doctor…Good luck with this…

I was going to suggest ice packs too, I’m glad Marianne did and that you tried them and they are helping. After my surgery I had monster headaches for nearly a month afterward, then the decpreased in strength and frequency. I was still in the hospital though, so it was easier for the doctors to manage my pain, I think. But, just like everyone has said, definitely call your doctor. They should be able to help you more.

Another suggestion is to sleep with your head elevated. Easier said than done, I know.

I’m glad the ice packs are helping!