My 5cm AVM

Hi Everyone,my name is cheryl from leeds in england.I have recently discovered i have a 5cm avm on right front side of brain.Doctor says it is too large for gammer knife.Can anyone tell me if they have had it done at the same size or larger with success.Thanks for your help.cheryl x.

Hi there Cheryl. My AVM is also on the right side frontal lobe and was told it is very large. I was told at first I was going to have to have open brain surgery. I had a second glue procedure and they saw that it was not as big as it originally was. With blood pressure meds that kept my blood pressure around 99/60 and a pulse rate around 65 it has helped lesson the presure in my head and the veins are small enough to do the non invasive method of Stereotactic Radiosurgry. This happens around the 1st of August. I surely hope they find a way to treat you. The doctors have changed their minds on how to treat me so there is hope in all of this for you.

Hi Cheryl, Definitely get several opinions. In my opinion, it seems doctors tend to specialize in a chosen method of treatment. You need to hear all options. I got several copies of my daughter’s records(MRI or angio on a DVD) and sent them to various Dr’s that I researched on the internet. I received a variety of responses from cities far and wide and ended up going with the Dr that had the most confidence in curing her!

Cheryl
Mine was 3cm and it took 3 embolizations, proton beam radiation and 2 craniotomies. Make sure you have a great dr.
Maybe a combo would work. I went to Stanford hosp. in Ca.

good luck cheryl. i too have a right frontal AVM… I have had multiple opinions… radiation, embolization and surgery are all options for me. My best advice is go with who you feel most confident in.

Hi Cheryl,
Kellie reminded me of something. During my 2nd surgery they cooled my body temp way down. It is supposed to prevent damage etc. I am not sure if all drs. do this or not, it is newer. For me the dif. was dramatic, I had a quick recovery compared to the first surgery I had. Good luck again. Erica

hI, CHERYL MINE IS 5CM AS WELL BUT ON THE RIGHT SIDE PARTICAL LOBE, THE AREA THAT EFFECTS THE LEFT SIDE OF MY BODY AS WELL AS MY EYESIGHT. nOW ALL DOC. OR DIFFERENT BUT MINE TOLD ME THAT MY WAS TO LARGE FOR THE GK. as well . I will have my first of three embo. at the end of july. I think this is best for me. HOPE U FIND WHAT U LOOKING FOR. PEACE AND BLESSING TO U.

Hi Cheryl,

I too have a 5 cm right side AVM (right near the brain’s motor area). I will be getting a craniotomy next may after finishing medical school. Radiation and embolization are only solo treatments in small AVMs. They can be added to open surgeries in AVMs as large as ours. I recommend you send your CD around to see what various docs think. Up in Canada where health care is universal, the doctors all talked to eachother about my AVM and selected the best option and the best person for the job. Good luck and please let me know how it goes!