Moving Forward

Hi Mike5, you are not alone, it’s being 11 years for me and I feel just like you, everyone is moving on and I’m at home and can’t drive, to get public transport I have to walk 10 minutes which isn’t far, but when it’s raining (this is Ireland which gets a lot of rain) it’s not easy going anywhere wet. I do get my daughter to drive to a car park when it’s empty and I drive around, it makes me feel good knowing I can get behind the wheel once in a while. It’s something to try. I also do a lot of reading which is a way of getting away from thinking about what I’ve lost. It’s hard Mike but you have helped me when I wrote on this site about losing my independences and you replied. Just remember you are not alone Mike, write to me anytime you are feeling down. All the best

2 Likes

Roche,nice posting, I am just one more avmer in the same situation, this year is my 30th year post surgery, this site and people like you and mike are about the only thing that helps me to carry on, No it’s not easy and it helps to know your not alone, wishing you and all my fellow avmer’s the best, take care

2 Likes

I agree, this forum is a nice place; at least we know we’re not alone.
nothing we can do about what’s happened to us but at least we have the support of other people on this forum which helps!
Thanks everyone!

1 Like

Hang in there mike !! Don’t ever give up, your right, non of us have asked for this and it is a challenge not to let it define who we are, I appreciate the encouraging words, take care my friend, be strong,

No, I will never give up… But when life keeps passing you by you have those moments of pity for yourself and wondering what’s next.
I’ve gotten over most of it now, but it can be frustrating.
I appreciate the support of everybody on this forum; it helps!

1 Like

Yes,I know the feeling, I’ve been doing this 30+ years and it does not get easier, harder if anything, how long have you fought this battle mike,

just 3 years since my rupture…30+…wow; I guess I should quit my complaining! :slight_smile:

Hey Mike,
I just want to say everybody’s journey is different and like any injury trying to compare is next to impossible. For many years I worked with people with disabilities and to be honest I thought I knew all about it. And sure I knew all the theory but the reality of it all is far more shocking than I could ever imagine. So now I’m the one with the disability due to a brain injury, I look back at my former clients and can see so very many parallels between them and I but even so, there were many far better off than I and by the same accord many whom were far worse. Yet each day they got up and kept going. On my bad days I still think of those that were worse off and I think “What have I got to complain about, I could be in their shoes.” Many of them having been fighting this battle much longer than I. Don’t get me wrong here I still have those days where I think things couldn’t be worse, but those are the days I think of those clients and give myself a (metaphorical) kick in the pants.

It’s impossible to compare the impact of each individuals ailments as they all affect us in differing ways. As I often say “Some days I could leap a tall building in a single bound, other days I’m lucky to crawl out of bed”. Some people see me on a good day and can’t understand my issue. Some see me on a bad day and tell me I look like shit and I tell them “You want to have a look from this side” What they can see is a milli fraction of what I’m trying to manage.

Merl

1 Like

Just ??? Ypur not complaining at all mike, not only are avmer’s the only ones who get avmer’s, non avmer’s couldn’t last a day in are shoes !!! People, including are doctors, don’t have a clue how difficult this is, this aliment is so hideous I would not wish this one anyone, just remember we didn’t ask for this, but a forced to deal with it, I did not have a rupture mike, out of the blue I had a grand mail seizure at 23, after all the tests I was told since birth I had a 2℅ chance a year of anuerism and never knew it, so I was starting at a 46℅ chance of anuerism and 100% by 50, talk about a rude awakening, I elected surgery, left temporal craniotomy right above the ear, had some serious complications and took me better part of three years to begin to get back on my feet and move forward, slowly, So I’d say your doing pretty good my friend, acceptance is the hardest part and positivity the best weapon, fight,fight,fight, baby steps, you will get their !!! By the way I’ve seen your postings and always enjoy, you just never know how you might effect someone and not even know it, take care,

2 Likes

Completely agree. Mike is a great supporter on here, as are you, Andrew.

1 Like

That’s why I love this site,your dedication and hard work also shows Richard, I have seen you go above and beyond time and time again, shoot, I still remember you introducing yourself as a moderator, talk about taking the ball and running with it !! Kudos to you and thank you for the kind works, together we can all get through this, take care

3 Likes

M, you are WELCOME. Just the fact that this AVM site is here, because back in the 1980’s, before I fixed my AVM, there was no site that I knew of, and I did not even meet ANOTHER AVM for almost 2 decades later. I felt quite alone, but look at the support HERE for us, NOW! Thank God!!
L

1 Like