Me and My AVM

Well, this is new for me to do as I've never really shared my story with anybody before save my partner and family who were with me at the time..

I am now 21 and 11 years ago I had an AVM in my left Occipital Lobe which was removed via craniotomy. It has left me with loss of vision in the right peripheral and my moods and my general happiness seem lost. I struggle with what happened with me, never being able to come to terms with it as it has made me a different person but even now, 11 years down the line I am eventually getting used to it even though I a never able to drive or go on rollercoasters etc due to the metal plates and titanium screws in my head.

I just thought I would share this with you all, if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Lauren, I had an AVM and bleed in the right occipital lobe which resulted in a left homonymous hemianopia. This was in 1959, when I was 8. I think I am lucky to be alive, even though I felt the things you are talkng about. Are you sure the loss of vision is only in your right eye, and not the right side of both eyes?

I also wonder what I would have been like but for the AVM. I also have searched for my happiness, and have had many bouts of depression and emotional deals. Despite, i worked as a paralegal for a state Dept. Of Justice for a long time, was married and have a 34 year old son. My husband died too young over 17 years ago, and that was so hard to deal with. but I keep on getting back up, and struggling with whatever I have to. I never drove, and it is hard to not have independence. I did ice skate a little afterwards, but my family decided that is how I got this brain problem - from hitting my head iceskating, so they would not let me do it anymore. bUT they allowed me to ride a bike (go figure) which I did for a lot of my life. i was very careful, and also lucky. i now have a guide dog for visually impaired, named Jimbo. He helps me in that he is my left side, and I dearly love him. Thanks for your post. Hope you continue to get better and to realize you are also lucky to be alive.

beans

Hi, the loss of vision is in both eyes but the right peripheral is the more difficult to live with.

I too think I am lucky to be alive even though I find the most simple tasks extremely hard.
My family thought it was due to me playing rugby that I had the AVM, seeing as I was the only girl on the team and I wasn't scared of being knocked around. But yes, I was allowed to ride a bike too even though my family watched my every move. A little too much I think.

I have looked into the idea of a guide dog but I am unsure if I am eligible in NZ to get one but I think it would be a great help.