Make-A-Wish Eligibility

Our kids are eligible for having a wish granted through the Make-A-Wish Foundation. My son Ryan had his wish of going to a professional motocross race granted earlier this month, and he was in heaven! It was by far the best time of his life. He got to meet Ryan Dungey, who's currently in first place on the pro motocross circuit, and even got a sweaty, dirty, signed practice jersey from him!

Make-A-Wish is a wonderful organization who grants wishes to kids with life-threatening illnesses or conditions. It's a common misperception that they only grant wishes to kids with terminal illnesses. I first applied for Ryan when he was initially diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor, but then when his diagnosis was changed to an AVM, it turned out that he was still eligible.

You can find out more about the Make-A-Wish Foundation by going to www.wish.org. You can nominate your own child or someone else's, and their eligibility is verified by their doctor. Let Make-A-Wish make your child's wish come true. And what's even better, you get to watch the absolute delight on your child's face and forget about all the yucky stuff for a while.

Make-A-Wish also takes donations because granting wishes is not free for them. They're a great organization. Check them out.

Kelly

That’s strange… we didn’t qualify in California.

Hi Kelly. My daughter Katie is waiting for her wish: a day in New York City with a fashion photographer. She’s been waiting awhile, but it’s a very special wish. And I agree this is something that is perfect for our kids. My daughter was 15 when her AVM hemmorhaged and I wanted to do something that would be as miraculously good as what happened was unexpectedly not good. Families should contact a local office. You need to have your child’s doctors confirm the case etc. and, depending on where you live, it can be a lengthly process. Congrats to your son!

Thanks to you, my daughter will have her make a wish granted on Sunday. She wished for a “game room” bedroom. She is getting a flat screen tv and an xbox. Along with a bunch of games and some accessorizing of her bedroom. Thank you so much for posting and giving my daughter a life long wish of hers. God Bless You! You have forever positively changed the life of a child you will never know. A child that I will make sure knows that she received this opportunity from an extremely kind stranger, who took the time to make a difference in others lives. I am forever grateful to you.

She will be having a craniectomy on Oct 27th, 2010. They will be removing her entire right occipital lobe. I am thrilled she will have an awesome bedroom to come home to for her recovery!

My son, also name Ryan, made a wish when he was just 3! Now he is turning 13!!! We went to Disney World in Orlando and stayed at Give Kids The World for one week. We went to every Park there and were treated like kings and queens! It was a week we will never forget. The entire family was paid for including airfare, spending money, accomodations, food, etc etc etc!!! My mother in law has since made a career out of it and is the director of operations there. They are all such wonderful people at GKTW if your child chooses this as his/her wish… it is a magical week of a lifetime! :slight_smile:

Kelley,

I’m so glad you could do this for Kenzie!! Ryan’s Make-A-Wish was his favorite time in life so far, and I hope Kenzie feels that way, too! The Make-A-Wish Foundation is an awesome organization, isn’t it?!

I will be praying for Kenzie’s surgery to be successful on the 27th with no complications and a fast recovery. May God keep Kenzie safe, guide the surgeons’ hands so that they do a perfect surgery, and comfort you and give you peace and confidence that He’s in perfect control.

Kelly

Kenzie’s Momma Kelley said:

Thanks to you, my daughter will have her make a wish granted on Sunday. She wished for a “game room” bedroom. She is getting a flat screen tv and an xbox. Along with a bunch of games and some accessorizing of her bedroom. Thank you so much for posting and giving my daughter a life long wish of hers. God Bless You! You have forever positively changed the life of a child you will never know. A child that I will make sure knows that she received this opportunity from an extremely kind stranger, who took the time to make a difference in others lives. I am forever grateful to you.

She will be having a craniectomy on Oct 27th, 2010. They will be removing her entire right occipital lobe. I am thrilled she will have an awesome bedroom to come home to for her recovery!

Hi, Diane,

I know it’s been a while, and I was wondering if Katie has gotten her wish yet. If so, how did it go? I hope it was awesome!

Kelly

Diane K said:
Hi Kelly. My daughter Katie is waiting for her wish: a day in New York City with a fashion photographer. She's been waiting awhile, but it's a very special wish. And I agree this is something that is perfect for our kids. My daughter was 15 when her AVM hemmorhaged and I wanted to do something that would be as miraculously good as what happened was unexpectedly not good. Families should contact a local office. You need to have your child's doctors confirm the case etc. and, depending on where you live, it can be a lengthly process. Congrats to your son!

Hi Kelly, They are a great organisation my son just received his wish for a buggy and he is loving it, he also is spending more enjoyable time with his sister as she can fit in too.
454-054.JPG (1000 KB)

Tracey,

That’s awesome! I love the picture!

Tracey Eyles said:
Hi Kelly, They are a great organisation my son just received his wish for a buggy and he is loving it, he also is spending more enjoyable time with his sister as she can fit in too.

Hi, Ethan got his wish to visit disney land paris and will be going on the 8th July. Ethan will be staying for 4 nights with myself my mum and little brother. I will let you all know how it went when we return. Ethan's very excited for going on all the rides.

Dev picked DisneyWorld and to meet Phineas and Ferb and to skip every line. Waiting to speak with wish grantors.

Lauren,

Paris, huh? That sounds wonderful!! Ryan chose to go to Michigan. Go figure. Once-in-a-lifetime chance to travel the world and he picks MICHIGAN. LOL. He LOVES motocross, though, and there was a professional mx race there.

Part of the excitement of the Make-A-Wish thing is the anticipation of going, isn't it? Take lots of pictures!! :-)

Kelly

StarieNite,

Phineas & Ferb -- that's awesome. My kids LOVE that show. It'll be a great time!!

Kelly

StarieNite said:

Dev picked DisneyWorld and to meet Phineas and Ferb and to skip every line. Waiting to speak with wish grantors.

My mom was trying to get him to pick Disneyland. We live in AZ so my mom and dad where going to save up and take my family to meet us there, but Dev decided that he had been the DL enough and wants to go big. So my dad is planning on having a "business trip" to Orlando and tag along and if my sister in law is in Naples (she works there six months out of the year) she might do a day with us too.

I applied for my son Luke 2 people from make a wish came to see him we are now waiting to hear from them hoping to hear something before Christmas he really wants to go to Florida to swim with the dolphins

That would be awesome to swim with dolphins! I hope you hear something soon!

We live in NJ and my daughter had her embolization/angiogram with a follow up craniotomy in NY, July 2009. A week after surgery we took her to a Paul McCartney concert....had contacted Make A Wish... We'd hoped to arrange for her to meed Paul or even just better seats but were told she didn't meet the criteria. It was disappointing but we figured in the big scheme of things "this is probably a good thing"...happy her situation was no longer deemed life threatening. It is a wonderful organization for those who do qualify !!

update on Luke's make a wish rang them yesterday they told me they are just waiting on his neurosurgeon to confirm he can fly then they can allocate him a wish granter so exited for him xx

I can't understand why, having read all of these, but Jake isn't eligible. I phoned Make a wish and they said Jakes surgeon said he wasnt eligible so there's nothing they can do. I think it stinks, Jake is really upset about it as he'd already picked what he would wish for. I don't get it! His avm ruptured, he almost died, had 3 lots of brain surgery, and possibly has another avm, but that isnt 'enough!

A lot of people, including doctors and surgeons, mistakenly think that Make-A-Wish is only for terminally ill kids. That's not the case -- it's for kids with life-threatening conditions (which may or may not be terminal). I wonder if you could call surgeon and ask him why he thinks that Jake isn't eligible? Maybe he doesn't realize the distinction with Make-A-Wish?