Lots of tiredness and mental confusion 8.5 months after gammaknife is it normal?

Hello all, I had Gamma Knife on December 14th and the last weeks I´m feeling like in the beggining, super tired, mental confused and I was much better before, is this normal at this time mark? I´m getting scared and tired…so tired of all of this…

Hi Rita, I had gamma knife November 10th and have had some symptoms similar to you. From my research it is not uncommon for some swelling to develop months after the treatment. I may have noticed a little more tiredness around the 6 month mark, I haven’t needed to seek medical help as of yet. just the tired and some pain, but it has subsided mow. When I’m tired or towards the end of a work week I notice my symptoms worsen until I can get a little more rested. I wouldn’t hesitate to seek a medical opinion, I’ve thought about it a couple times then saw some improvement and chalked it up the the radiation working, hopefully that’s the case for both of us! Take Care, John.

Yes…I hope that too! I will see how I feel the next week and then try to schedule an emergency appointment with my neuro…the one I have is only at the end of October

Hi Rita,
Because I had the most severe short-term memory loss right after my bleed (I still have some issues with memory eleven years later, but not as bad), I don’t remember too much of my time recovering from the Gamma Knife surgery, but I do remember that the MRI a few months after the Gamma Knife did show swelling, which was considered normal.
I find that it is not just a long work week that tires me out and makes my memory worse, but too much mental stimulus of any type will wear me out. For example, in high school if we had a loud assembly on a Monday, I would be exhausted for the rest of the week.
I wish you all the best!
-Julia

Dear All,
I have gamma knife treatment on 13th Augaust 2017. After 2 weeks treatment, I have hair loss so much. Do any one else have problem like me. I also feel tired. My AVM in right at right of occipital lobe. Doctor said that It will affect to my vision ability.
But at the moment I don’t really reconigize about that.
Thank for advantage

Hi Tuong! I think gammaknife itself doesn´t provoque the hair loss and yes the anesthesia of the angyography, in one of the times they tried to do an embolization on my avm one of the recomendations after was to drink a lot of water to prevent hair loss.
It´s normal to feel super tired and mentally exausthed in the first weeks yes! This will get better and apparentely worse again between 6m-1 year after (I´m experiencing it) Be strong it´s part of the process and soon everything will finish!

Hi Julia, thanks for repliying, I´m still checking my bleed bounderies in order to feel good, the thing is that now I don´t know what should I consider a permanent deficit or a transient gamma knife deficit, at this point i am sure I already have felt better, for example just now I had to hang up the phone because I couldn t stand it (ok I was using the affected side and usually I don´t) but I already have been in places to dance ,sometimes it´s fine and sometimes I just can´t stand a small noise…It´s hard to predict and I find myself feeling afraid how my brain will react to certain situations…so usually I prefer not to go anyway…I still haven´t return to work, but I fear it everyday because I don´t know if I will be capable of being in a corporate environment full of people, different lights, noises…i m really super afraid and uncertain of what future holds concrning work and what or I can´t be will be able to do

1 Like

Tuong, I don’t know about the hair loss but believe I have heard of some others who experienced this but can’t recall the exact details/location. I think the tiredness is normal, I certainly was tired, or certainly more easily fatigued and needed to rest more often. I found just some time alone and quiet often helped me. Take Care, John.

A quick search on the site using the grey magnifying glass suggests that quite a few people have hair loss with gamma knife as well as embolisation. From what I’ve read, hair loss with gamma knife is quite local, where the radiation was applied. From embolisation, I assume it is more widespread, from being on an x-ray machine for a long time.

Seemingly quite common with either treatment.