Location of AVM

Just realised that my first medical notes stated that my AVM was located in the left parietal lobe and the second notes stated left posterior frontotemporal, just wondering whether it’s the same? Thanks

Hi. The descriptions sound to me like they could be a similar place. See the first image on the following Wikipedia page:

If frontotemporal means the “join” between the frontal lobe and the temporal lobe – the boundary between them – and “posterior” means “the rear end of” then you’re looking at the point at which frontal, temporal and parietal all converge.

Hope this helps,

Richard

Thanks for the info Richard. Does that mean it’s more serious as it covers more areas? I have 2 appointments with consultants coming up but just wanted to find out in advance. Thanks

I think it is simply expressing where abouts to find the AVM. As far as I know, the “seriousness” is to do with the size of it, how deep the draining veins are from it and how near to any “eloquent” areas of the brain it is. Those areas tend to mean the brainstem and cerebellum and any of the deeper, more internal areas of the brain – greater function in those areas means greater loss from any damage. It doesn’t sound like it is in those areas.

I don’t know from what you’ve described as to whether it sounds “deep” or not but let’s be positive and think that it is not deep and quite accessible to do something about until someone tells you otherwise. My view on life is there is no point worrying about what you don’t know because you can spend all that time worrying and at least half the time, it turns out you were worrying unnecessarily. So don’t worry.

Very best wishes

Richard