Living Will

Hi everybody,

Hope all is well everywhere you all are. In December, I am going for my first embolizations as part of my treatment of my AVM, which is in my brain on the frontal hemisphere near my thalamus. The Doctor says I should get a living will together just in case if anything bad happens. I am disabled on the right side of my body and I was just hoping for some suggestions that I come possibly put down in the will. Thank you.

Love,
Kevin

Many hospitals refer to a living will as an advance directive. http://www.caringinfo.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3289

It is a good idea for everyone to have one.
If you google Living Will…there are other links too.

What a good question…I’ll be following your discussion since I’ll be filling out a living will soon as I’m going in for surgery at the end of November. I also found something called Five Wishes…a more detailed account of all the things people need to know about you including financials, etc. A google search will find it if you’re interested.

Good luck with your procedure.

Hi Kevin - I found this a very difficult thing to face and do. I wish you the best in writing yours.

Also, here’s a link to a previous discussion. Although it’s from 2008, it discusses Living Wills, Power of Attorney, etc. Hope this helps:

http://www.avmsurvivors.org/forum/topics/advance-directives-medical…

Hi Kevin,

I did my first Living will in 1991 when I first found out about my avm. I was only 29 back then. I updated it in 2007 when I became symptomatic. Although this can be a tough subject for some, I feel it's a very important one to have. Kudos to you for bringing it up (smiles).

I have mine set up for NO heroics -- A DNR (do not resuscitate) is in order and on file at my drs office. They can give me fluids and antibiotics (if needed) but, no other life supports are permitted. When my attorney wrote mine up. He said it was the strictest one he has ever written. He told me because of my health he was legally allowed to write it that way, the way I wanted it.

Your att'y will give you ideas of what you will or will not want. Just make sure you tell him/her all about your situation and they will be able to guide you through it. Also Kevin, get a 'power of attorney' set up too along with a regular will. I have two people set up for my 'power of att'y'. That way you have someone appointed who can legally do things for you and make decisions and/or speak for you in case you aren't able to at that time. I did it so there was someone available who could write my checks for me and pay my bills in case I couldn't.
A Living Will takes precedence over a Power of att'y. So make sure when you write your Living Will, it's exactly how you want it. Because,.... it CANNOT be overridden for any reason. Keep in mind it only goes into effect if your life is on the line and you can't speak for yourself.

Good luck to you :),

Ben

The living will I did just had a few statements for me to check off my preferences. (This is hard but necessary to talk about especially if you are facing brain surgery.) The preferences regard to what extent of life support you want in the event the brain is in a vegetative state with no hope of recovery. You should file this with the hospital where your procedures will be done. I also named a POA (my husband) so he can take care of my affairs if I'm decapicitated, temporarily or permanently. To me, the living will is a way to "die with dignity" and take the heavy responsibility of those choices off of my loved ones.

Great topic and great answers!

For almost everyone (in the US at least), the three key documents each of us should have is a living will, a power of attorney (for financial stuff), and a will.

The other two have been discussed in other responses. The ordinary will is who you want your assets to go to. If you are married, and without a will, your assets go to your spouse. If both of you die at the same time, then it goes to your kids (without a will). Where it can get messy is when you write a will, name your spouse, then later divorce and remarry. If the only will names your ex-spouse, that MIGHT take precedence and leave your current spouse out completely.

Another key provision of your will is who is to have custody of any minor children. That's a tough call and one that should be discussed with prospective custodians before the will is written.

Personally, I strongly dislike dealing with lawyers, but in this case, I believe they are very necessary. And as your net worth rises and you have minor children, great estate planners become more necessary.

Chari's grandfather owned a farm and a lot of equipment. He HATED lawyers, so he wouldn't do a will. Everything was in his name. When he died, the attorney selected to handle his estate walked away with 5% of the gross value of EVERYTHING grandpa owned. For a few hundred dollars, an attorney could have written a will and saved the family a bucket of $$$$$.

Hope this helps.
Ron, KS