Lingering headaches

How long do the headaches last?.. Had my rupture on June 24th had embolization on June 25th and gamma knife on September 17th… Doctor left blood to heal on its own and there is still a small hematoma there and i still get small headaches on the right side (same side as initial headache from bleed) only thing left thats affecting me really leg still a little funky acting… Just ready for this bump in my road to be smooth again if it ever will. Avm was only about 1cm big when i had GK done embolization took care of about 90% of it… :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

Hey Leighann,

That’s a bit of a ‘How long is a piece of string?’ sort of question. No one really knows. For some people their recovery can almost seem miraculous, with very little impact. For others the impact can be more of an issue and then for some it can be lifelong. There really is no direct measure of how bad nor how long. Some dr’s will give a ‘Best outcome’ view and we all hope/wish/pray that this is the outcome but the reality is, that ‘best outcome’ is not always the final outcome. No 2 people are wired exactly the same way. I’m often saying ‘2 people can have exactly the same injury, in exactly the same place, requiring exactly the same surgery, but have vastly differing outcomes…’

I say all of this as I’ve required a few neurosurgeries and none of them have been the same and each has had it’s own impact. I’m 8yrs on from my last neuro operation and still today I battle symptoms. Some days it can all be manageable, but some days OMG I’m tempted to rip my eyeballs out with a teaspoon the pain behind them is so intense.

We’re talking about brain matter here and the healing, when compared to a muscle/bone injury, is totally different. Your just over a month since your last procedure. When it comes to neurosurgery that is still very early on in your recovery. If you’ve been lucky enough to come out the other side with “small headaches on the right side” and you are a month on, that sounds really positive. When it comes to neurosurgery, recovery can be a slowly, slowly process. NO, I mean S.L.O.W.L.Y.

Personally, I don’t like slowly and I pushed my recovery too much, too soon. I told myself I was building stamina by pushing my limits, but I ended up doing myself more harm than good, ending up back in hospital, requiring further neurosurgery. Those headaches, those pains are signs. It’s your body sending you messages, Do Not Ignore Those Signs. If you need time, take it. This is a time to be kind to yourself.

Merl from the Modsupport Team

1 Like

Hi Leighann

That is a difficult one to answer as my surgeon said my headaches may or may not disappear

They were bad prior to surgery, then worse for a few weeks after surgery then totally disappeared for about 3 months and I was ecstatic then they resurfaced again bad

Since then over the last year they come and go week by week day by day. I can go a few days without one. Then I go weeks with constant headaches and even migraines that are debilitating

I honestly think we are all totally different and your headaches may or may not go or may vary in intensity and duration. There isn’t really any answer other than wait and see sadly

That’s my experience anyway

2 Likes

Hi Leighann
The others are right the headaches may never go completely! But its amazing how you get used to them - mine were bad pre surgery and now a dull ache all of the time Neuro said they may never go, but now i’m just used to them - when i was in the Army you got told pain is good because it lets you know you are still alive! and i suppose in our situation thats true.
I try to avoid pain killers as i think we have enough medication in our bodies with the anti seizure medication but if it gets really bad then i reckon taking them is a relief. Also as everyone said give yourself time the brain takes a lot longer than other parts of the body to heal - i think that might be another thread that I’m responding to.
Take care and God bless

To be honest I had my bleed and surgery in early 2011… to date I still suffer from the occassional headache more often than normal but as long as general pain relief works my neuro is happy with that stating I need to accept my brain has endured such trauma and it was quite normal… God bless!