Life-changing Disastrous Month Ends in a Miracle!

Recuperating at home after the month from Hell. Dad died February 14th. A week later I was hospitalized with pulmonary embolisms in both lungs. They couldn't treat them with blood thinners because of my lovely AVM, so they put a filter over the vena cava sol that the blood clots would not enter my heart and kill me. While doing that procedure, they found a bunch more clots in my abdomen!

I was in the hospital with that for a week. Three days after I was discharged...what I'm about to say is embarasing, but had serious results. It was around 2:30 a.m. on Friday morning and I fell asleep on the toilet. I awoke upside down on the floor screaming in pain. What a sight for my poor family to find me in! Anyway, the result was a cut head, a broken neck (I had fractured the c-1 and c-2 bones in my spine), and the fractures had disected the main artery to my brain!

In the hospital,I was immediately put in a stiff neck brace and admitted. They kept trying to give me blood thinners and I was brought to tears fighting them continually, thinking that they were going to kill me via AVM. Here I had survived the fall that could have knocked one of my anuerysms loose or had a major bleed from it, and I was totally paranoid about taking an aspirin! LOL

The neurologist explained to me that I was in immediate danger of a blood clot to my brain from the disected artery and to please take the daily dose of baby aspirin for at least three months. I was in the ICU for a week and then admitted to a rehabilitation center for two weeks.

While there, they lowered my Avinza from 180mg per day to 60 mg and lowered to other medication dosages. I am happy to report that I am more alert than I have been in at least four years! I had no idea that I was being so over medicated ( which probably had a lot to do with my falling in the first place!)! Couple that with the physical and occupational therapy, my family saw a whole new me (really the old me)!

After two weeks in rehab, I am back home and I can honestly say that breaking my neck was the best thing that has happened to me in years! Thank you, Lord!

I still have a long recovery with my neck, but I have fired my old neurologist and am getting a new one. I will no longer accept a new prescription ( or an increased dosage) without a thorough explanation for it. I feel as though I've awakened from a drug-induced fog and didn't even know that I as in one! For years I was so worried about becoming addicted to my medications.I feel so bad for what my family has gone through with me. Well, I can't change the past, but I can and will change our future. Connie is back!

Connie...I missed you! You've been through so much the past months. My deepest sympathy about your Dad's passing. Dear Lord, then falling and a broken neck! Stay strong, good friend. I'm glad you are going to find a new great neurologist..At times, the problem is that we trust our doctors too much. Stay in touch!

Super Hurrah!

Wow, you've been through so much! So sorry about your loss, Connie...
Hoping all goes well & BETTER! during this recovery.

well connie sorry to hear about your day. But on a good note knocking your nogging helped get you where you need to be. Why would our lives be easy right! Happy for you that the old connie is back and feeling better and recovering quickly!!!!!

Thank you all for your condolences and good wishes!