Letter to the SSA for SSDI

Here’s a letter I want to send to the Social Security Administration along with my application for SSDI. Obviously I haven’t sent it yet. Tell me what you think? I know it’s kind of long but any feedback is greatly appreciated. :slight_smile:

To Whom It May Concern:

I am trying to get SSDI. I had surgery in October of 2006 to remove an Arterial Venous Malformation (AVM) located in my cerebellum next to the brain stem. The surgery was deemed successful and the AMN was removed 100% however, as a result of the surgery I have double vision (which has not improved since the surgery), dizziness (the cerebellum is the center of balance), some minor facial palsy (I look like I had a stroke) and numbness at first in my right hand and leg. The numbness has since (in the last two years) increased to my left hand. I can drive with my prism glasses but have been told I have no business on any two-wheeled vehicles (so there went the motorcycle and the mountain bike). My typing speed (though better than it was after the surgery) is only 12 wpm (it was 40+ wpm before the surgery) and I’m very slow at just about everything.

At the time of the surgery I was employed by Texas Guaranteed Student Loan Corporation (TG) and was placed on long-term disability through Hartford. In February of 2007, TG let me go to “help getting the long-term disability”. I did go before an Administrative law judge in 2009 and was awarded social security benefits (from lawyers provided by Hartford) for the period of April 2007 through December 2007 but that went back to Hartford in the form of an overpayment and they even wanted money from my daughter as a dependant. In the meantime, Hartford hired a private investigator, came to my house, showed me that they did video surveillance on me pushing a cart at the grocery store and said I was no longer disabled and would stop disability payments. This also happened in 2009. It was all so surreal.

Since then I have tried to work in a deli at a grocery store (part-time), as a census worker for the 2010 census, back at TG on a phone queue (was terminated because I did not meet financial goals for the month of November – again I was very slow), and finally from home as a healthcare IT scheduler (3 month contract job – contract ended after one month). With each job, I still threw up about once a week (sometimes more) before I went to work and because of my slower speed (typing, etc.), I can’t seem to hold down a job.

While back at TG, they provided health insurance and I immediately had an MRI done (2010) but the AVM did not return. I also visited with a neurologist (2010) to try to explain the increasing numbness I was experiencing and they ordered a nerve test that showed nothing. Also at the advice of the neurologist, I had an MRI on my neck and spine and that showed nothing as well.

During a period of unemployment I was also denied Medicaid. I am seeing a doctor for health care right now but it is completely at my expense and I haven’t seen a neurologist since 2010.

Right now I’m living with my aging parents (I’m 46) to save money and looking for another job just to get health benefits and I’m on emergency unemployment. It’s not like I’m not educated. I have both a BBA and an MBA (earned online after the surgery) along with a high work ethic combined with my ability to drive and that seems to land me jobs. Problem is I can’t seem to keep them. This whole journey has been both a financial and emotional drain and I just want to contribute again. What else should I do?

Thanks again for any and all feedback.

Heey Suzy, I would like to help you with this but I can’t. Simply because my English isn’t good enough. And the social security system isn’t anything like the system here. But I’m sure your doing the right thing, and it’s good that you stand up for yourself. I was a student till februari this year, now I don’t have a job and I can’t go to school because everything is so insecure. I have to be treated for my AVM (first treatment failed) and after that I need treatment for my Cavernous angioma, I have a long way to go. This week I called the social security myself, I hope they can help me find a job or that I’ll get some financial support. Good luck with everything! I hope that everything will work out for you, and you’ll find a job that fits you. Lots of luck! Melissa

Hi Suzy. It may sound silly but try contacting your local congressman. In many states congressman have people assigned to handle these things. I know at least 2 people on here who were approved that way.

Not at all Barbara. Will send the letter to my Congressman (or woman… not sure yet…lol) and see what happens. Thank you! I’m willing to do anything at this point. Thanks again.

Melissa. Even though it was very long, I really appreciate you reading it. It kind of explains everything. Like I said everyone’s AVM journey is unique and I know you feel like you have a long way to go in your journey, but just hang in there and you’ll get through this. Keep me posted! And you can always lean here if you ever need to. Best of luck.

Hi Suzy,
You might also contact Allsup @ http://www.allsup.com/, or an attorney who handles SSDI cases. I think the majority of them don’t charge a fee until you win a case, but you would need to ask.
Take care & hang in there!

Hi Patti! Thanks for the information. I looked at Alsup’s website and will call them shortly. Thanks for the words of encouragement and you hang in there too!

Suzy, I have been through the whole process and it’s not easy! You absolutely must hire a lawyer experienced in SSDI. By law they cannot chage you unless they are able to get your benefits. Generally if you do get SSDI, you get back payment to the date your disablity started, which for me was easy, it was the day of my bleed. The lawyer can only get 25% of that backpayment up to $6000 (I believe that’s the max right now). I was denied twice by SS before I hired an attorney. They file all the paperwork, get all of the doctors records, etc. I was awaiting a hearing before a judge, which is the end of the line for appeals, before I was approved. Apparantly there was a backlog of cases pending appeal at the time so some cases were sent to lawyers throughout the country who were given permission to approve on sight, without furhter review. I was one of those cases. It took me over 2 years go get my benefits and we nearly lost our house in the process. Brain injuries are notorioulsy difficult cases to win, which is why I suggest getting a lawyer. I will tell you that most lawyers will not take your case unless you are currently under the care of a doctor. Doesn’t have to be a neurologist, but you must be seeing at least a general practicioner. Difficult without insurnace, I know, but necessary. Lawyers won’t take your case unless they think they can win it, because they won’t get paid. It won’t hurt to talk to one. They won’t charge for a consult. Just make sure you choose one that specializes in SSDI claims. Good luck, but do not give up!!

Thanks Trish. What gets me is that I went before an Administrative Law Judge was awarded back pay and got SSN benefits for my disability for 2007 that went back to my long-term disability provider as an overpayment. But what now? I am seeing a general practioner at my own expense because I’m so concerned about this. I’ve contacted my representative, my Congressman and my Congresswoman and sent out a request and contacted an attorney that specializes in SSDI as well. I’ll post how it goes. Maybe it can help someone else going through the same thing. Thanks again.

HI, SUZY, I AM GOIN TO BE AS HONEST AS I CAN WITH YOU GET A LAWYER I REALLY CANT GIVE YOU WORDS OF ENCOURAGEMENT AT THIS TIME FROM WHAT I DO KNOW ABOUT DEALIN WITH SSDI EVERYTHING YOU SAID IN THE LETTER THEY ARE GOIN TO USE AGAINST YOU RE-READ YOUR FIRST STATEMENT DONT SEND THIS LETTER, GET A LAWYER FIRST DONT DO THIS YOURSELF. AT THIS TIME YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO GET THE SSI BUT IT’S NOTHING COMPARED TO WORKIN APPLY FOR THAT AFTER YOU READ THIS YOU CAN DO IT ONLINE. FROM WHAT I HAVE LEARNED WITH SSDI HERE IN TEXAS IT IS REALLY HARD TO GET YOU HAVE TO BE REALLY UNEDUCATED TO GET ANOTHER JOB AND TELLING THEM HOW MUCH EDUCATION YOU DO HAVE IS NOT GOOD. GET A LAWYER HE IS THE ONLY ONE THAT CAN HELP RIGHT NOW AND AS A SIDE NOTE I WAS READIN THE OTHER WEEK SOCIAL SECURITY HAS A BACKLOG OF CASES 178,000 WAITIN TO SEE THE JUDGE SO FOR NOW JUST APPLY FOR THE SSI IT’S NOT MUCH BUT IT WILL HELP UNTILL YOU AND THE LAWYER’S CAN GET THINGS IN ORDER.

STATED IN YOUR LETTER THAT YOU HAD WON YOUR FIRST CASE BUT DIDNT GET THE MONEY CAUSE YOU HAD TO PAID IT BACK

IT WANT BE EASY BUT FIND A LAWYER AND ALSO AS STATED GET YOUR CONGRESSMAN INVOLVED. SOCIAL SECURITY REALLY NEEDS TO STOP HURTING PEOPLE THAT REALLY NEED THEIR MONEY THAT THEY WORKED SO HARD TO EARN. KEEP THE FAITH KEEP PRAYIN BUT DONT SEND THAT LETTER. BE BLESSED

Here’s the deal Sheree… I applied for SSDI on 7/7/11 and sent the letter earlier today both online and to the local Georgetown office. (Wish I didn’t now…). Thing is I have contacted an attorney and contacted my representative and both Conressmen assigned to my area. I spoke with a person from the State reps office and they read the letter and suggested I apply again. They also suggested to pass on any correspondence that I receive from the SSA and they will monitor the progress. Hope that works. Wish I could tell you that they don’t have the letter, but they do. Thank you regardless for your advice.

HI SUZY, OK WELL KEEP UP POSTED I KNOW IT WILL BE A WHILE SO I WILL KEEP LOOKIN FOR YOUR POST AND KEEP YOU IN MY PRAYS THAT THINGS WORK OUT WELL FOR YOU. I REALLY WISH THEY UNDERSTOOD HOW BAD WE NEED THAT MONEY WHEN WE ARE USE TO WORKIN AND MAKING OUR OWN MONEY. YOU REMEMBER THE CONGRESSWOMEN THAT WAS HERE GETTIN HELP AT OUR MEDICAL CENTER WELL I KNOW SHE DIDNT HAVE TO WAIT ON HER MONEY TO START. MAYBE WITH HER HAVING A BRAIN INJURY SHE WILL DO SOMETHING TO HELP ALL OF US THAT NEED IT. I STILL HAVENT SEEN THE JUDGE WAS OFF FOR OVER A YEAR BUT I HAVE GONE BACK TO WORK NOW. SO I HAVE A LOT TO BE THANKFUL FOR BUT I KEEP COMIN BACK TO THE SITE TO HELP OTHERS. KEEP THE FAITH