Leg Weakness?

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for some insight! Just 2 weeks ago I went in to the ER because of constant significant weakness in my right leg, and on and off weakness in my left. To the point at times where I am unable to sustain my own weight, lift my legs, let alone walk. This has been going on for about 2 months. I feared that I would be diagnosed with MS, as I had many symptoms of that. After having an emergency MRI to rule out MS or cancer. The emerg neurologist told me about this AVM on the right frontal lobe of my brain. he was very calm about it, so my husband and I didn't really think much of it. After doing some research and realizing how quickly they had set me up with a neurosurgeon and booked me for an Angio... I started to get a bit worried.

After the Angio we were told the AVM is between a category 3 and 4, mostly superficial, but partially embedded. The funny thing is that the AVM is on the right side of my brain, which controls the left side of the body, not the right. So most of the doctors have said that it can't be connected to the leg weakness. I have a hard time believing this because a symptom of AVM is weakness. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? What are the chances that it is connected? My thought is that its only a small possibility to have the part that is embedded putting pressure on the left side of the brain that would cause this weakness...? Far stretch? maybe...

Thoughts anyone? Thanks :)

Hi Emily. This link has some good info on how the frontal lobes work...

http://www.neuroskills.com/tbi/bfrontal.shtml

I hate to say it but a lot of neurologists have no idea how AVMs affect the brain. AVMs only occur in about 1% of the population. Unless these doctors have dealt with 100s of AVMs...well I'd take what they say with the proverbial grain of salt.

There is so much we do not know about the human brain. I will be praying for you.

Hello Emily, I really don't know very much about this. My AVM was in the left frontal lobe and before surgery I had very bad back(surgery for this 7 yrs ago), dizziness and a lot of falling down. Both my surgeon and neurologist said that those problems had nothing to do the AVM. Surprisingly, since the AVM has been removed, my back is Great!, No falling at all and the only time I get Dizziness, is when they change my medication!!

Certainly makes me think...........

Hi Emily,

Don't let the speed of the process scare you! It doesn't have to mean that your case is particularly urgent, just that they don't want to put you through months of waiting and uncertainty, and that a good doctor tends to want any kind of brain disorder to be figured out as quickly as possible. Just make sure you feel like you have a good understanding of what's going on before you take each of the recommended steps, and that you've checked your doctor out thoroughly, so you're sure you're with someone who has treated a lot of AVMs.

About the weakness on both sides: AVMs are high-traffic blood vessels that "steal" blood from the rest of the brain. (It's easier for blood to flow through the wide vessels of an AVM than to slow down and trickle through the normal capillaries in other parts of the brain.) I suspect that could be a factor in effects that can't be explained by the AVM's location. When the AVM is sealed off or removed by treatment, blood flow to all the other parts of the brain should increase, and other functions could improve. If you run that by your doctor and get a response, please let me know!

JH