Lack of Balance & dizziness

OK- I’m tired of it, but its not going away…I have a real issue with a lack of balance (for those of you who know me that probably wouldn’t surprise you, but I’m talking about the real balance- the kind where you can stand up.) I thought it may have had something to do with the bad eyesight, but I’m not sure. Any thoughts?

I get a sort of woozy feeling when I stand up…kind of off balance a lot. I thought that it might be the pain meds making me unsteady. Another factor for me may be that my AVM is located near my right ear.

I find my balance is worse when i stand up after sitting for an hour or so, you’d think it would be better cause f the rest. Or if i change direction to quickly that knockes me off balance and i hate hate hate stairs. Don’t know what causes it Brian, don’t know if there is a diff between those that have had a bleed or not - i had one and i think my doc said it wa nerve damage. Soz no held to anyone

I know what you mean about the stairs, Amanda. I feel frieghtened going DOWN the stairs especially. I’m holding on to the banister with my left hand, but I can’t feel it because of the numbness caused by my good ol’ AVM. I hold onto the wall with my right hand, all while feeling incredibly unbalanced.

I did slide down some of the stairs a few days ago. It was scary, because I couldn’t grasp the bannister to stop my self because I couldn’t feel it! I somehow hooked my arm around one of the spindles, but that really hurt my torn rotator muscles/ligaments!

amanda good said:

I find my balance is worse when i stand up after sitting for an hour or so, you’d think it would be better cause f the rest. Or if i change direction to quickly that knockes me off balance and i hate hate hate stairs. Don’t know what causes it Brian, don’t know if there is a diff between those that have had a bleed or not - i had one and i think my doc said it wa nerve damage. Soz no held to anyone

Hello, well i can only speak of what i know from luke who has not had a bleed and is not on any medication but he alos looses his balance and has vision problems. BRIAN WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU HAD A NEUROLOGICAL CHECK UP?? Becasue as soon as i told the docs that luke was loosing his balance more they have sent him for an urgent mri, just a thought

Its only been a few months, but I’ve had the balance issue for years since the bleed. He knows about it because we do a balance check everytime I’m there. I guess since the MRI’s don’t show a new bleed he’s not worried about it.

LUKE’S MUM Michelle said:

Hello, well i can only speak of what i know from luke who has not had a bleed and is not on any medication but he alos looses his balance and has vision problems. BRIAN WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU HAD A NEUROLOGICAL CHECK UP?? Becasue as soon as i told the docs that luke was loosing his balance more they have sent him for an urgent mri, just a thought

Brian,

I feel the same way when ever I move around. I think it is because the seizure meds. I feel more so if I have any caffine or I don’t get enough to eat. I also have vision loss and anytime your vision is effected you have to readjust your depth perception, which takes time. Not sure if this helps.

God Bless,
Bonnie

Brian, I also have a problem with balance…I run into a lot of protrusions on my right, because I lost some vision (left occipital lobe AVM). It can be very frustrating, but my doctor told me that my occipital lobe AVM may have put some pressure on my cerebellum, which can also result in poor equilibrium… I am not sure about your AVM particulars (please share them with me!), but I can no longer do the “heel to toe” gait test without totally losing my balance. Where was your AVM? Try not to get too frustrated. Leslie

My bleed was in my cerebellum and was told I may have some minor balance issues because of that. Were you told the same? My bleed was more recent than yours - so I probably shouldn’t expect much improvement, huh?

Hi, not posted on here for a while. Decided to make a comeback. My avm is also left occipital lobe. I too bump into a lot of things on my right, due to right sided vision loss. I have balance problems, particularly whan I get tired, and just put it down to the bleed. I have particular problems when going up and down in the lifts at work and also on escalators too.

Thanks, everyone. Sounds like something I just need to live with and anticipate. I really don’t think its anything getting worse, just a continuous issue from the original bleed.

Hi Brian,

Sorry to hear about your health. I sometimes wonder if it is my eye also. I suffered facial paralysis after the last bleed/stroke and at this point, my eye can’t blink on its own. You may want to to see a neuro-optimologist (I haven’t seen one yet, but will next month.) I started with two eye doctors, but they said they could only tell me if my eye was working correctly(it is) but they couldn’t say much else.

Also: Are you experiencing double vision? I was my first few months after the bleed and I had great difficulty walking then. I’m also going to physical therapy. There are a nuumber of leg exercises that can help balance. I found my balance was much improved after just one week of exercises!

I hope you are feeling better. I’ll let you know if the doctors give me any significant info. when my appointment comes up.

Good luck,

Mike