Justin

So tomorrow is the appointment with the surgical team at Foothills Medical Centre. Because i am in Ontario, and he's in Calgary, I'm not able to be there. Does that make me a bad mom? Cuz it sure feels like it. Apparently the surgeon thinks he saw another mass behind the original one. So does this mean that surgery might not be an option? i don't know. What are some of the recovery times and what have been some of the side effects of anyone having surgery

Sue, no it does not make you a bad mom. It just means there are some things that are beyond your control and you can only do what you can do. It's very difficult to give you recovery times and side effects. Every AVM is different. Every surgery is different. So every recovery it different also. The surgical team should be able to give a sense of what possible effects there could be based on the location, size, etc. Recoering from brain surgery is not like recovering from any other surgery. It takes time for the brain to heal so patience is a must. I wish you and your son the very best.

Well after the appointment the dr has advised against doing the surgery right now. His AVM is 5.5 cm in size. If they were to operate he would go blind in his left eye with probable paralysis in his right side. So we watch it. His Keppra and Beta Blockers have been increased to keep the seizures at bay. Since he went on the meds in June - he has had 3 eppisodes. Apparently thats good. So now he has to look into changing is whole outlook on life, career, sports.. gonna be a tough year

I know it is not the news he wanted but at least he knows what he is dealing with now. New medical treatments happen every day. Please keep us informed as to his progress!