Is it a AVM? left in dark until October

hi

thanks for allowing me to join this group. hopefully will be able get some helpful information.

I have been suffering from pulsatile tinnitus behind left year since November last year.

I had a cerebral angiogram 2 days ago and was told by consultant that I have an abnormal connection between a artery and a vein on left side behind ear. before going for the Angio i was under ENT who did 2 scans mri and Mra which came back clear. I was then sent for ultrasound which showed something along the lines of a dilated posterior auricular artery. this called for cerebral angiogram.

as I mentioned after the Angio I was told i have abnormal connection between artery and vein. the good news was that it isn’t dangerous. I have to attend clinic around oct or nov (as he said no rush and stressed its not dangerous) he did say he couldn’t say what would be like in say 40 years time and because of my age ( 29 ) he said will go through pros and cons regarding fixing it or not.

my question is does this seem like a AVM/fistula? really i should of just asked him but I was just so relieved to know exactly what was wrong and that it wasn’t dangerous. I will find out more at clinic but wondering everyones thoughts ?

thanks
chris

Hi Chris,

Welcome to Living with Ben’s Friends! I am one of the moderators that help welcome new members to our forum. Although I don’t have personal experience regarding AVM and can’t give you a clear answer, Dick here (@DickD) can maybe chime in and give some opinion!

How are you feeling physically and emotionally? Do you feel prepared for the next step? Having to go through this journey can be very tough for some people, and I’m glad to see that you are keeping it positive!

Take care,

Christie

hi Christie

since I started hearing pulsatile tinnitus I’ve been feeling alot more tired than usual. feel like alot of pressure on side of head at times (side with the PT)

I was worrying about possibly annuersym etc but since having cerebral angiogram on Thursday and being told its a Abnormal connection between artery and vein but not dangerous its made me feel more at ease but am sure once I meet with consultant again in Oct or nov he will fill me in with what exactly was found/ if he means avm / fistula.

chris

Christie,

Thanks for the tag.

Hi Chris,

An “abnormal connection between an artery and a vein”, so far as I know is an AVM. By definition “arteriovenous” means between artery and vein and “malformation” means bad formation.

However, there are two main categories of brain AVM (again, so far as I know. I’m not a doctor, just been hanging around here too long). One is a dural arteriovenous fistula DAVF; the other is a regular AVM. My doctors have called mine both AVM and DAVF but I believe mine is really a DAVF.

And within the category of DAVFs it seems there are those that are progressive, if not aggressive, which need to be treated and those that are not really doing much and can be left. I’ll find a link to the Cognard classification that I found a few weeks ago to illustrate that difference. Note that Cognard is exclusively for DAVFs.

So… what have you got? At the moment, given what you’ve said it sounds like it could be a DAVF or it could be any other kind of AVM. The pulsatile tinnitus is pretty commonly associated with a DAVF but I wouldn’t be surprised if it were also possible to get from your dilated artery. @TJ127 introduced me to an abnormality between the sigmoid sinus and the carotid artery the other week which seems to give rise to pulsatile tinnitus, too, so it is basically indicating that you’ve got some unusual blood flow going through a vein or an artery somewhere that you can hear it.

So, it could definitely be a DAVF or it could be an AVM or that dilation or something else. Since you’ve already had an angiogram, it sounds like he is pointing to a DAVF and possibly the less aggressive kind.

I can tell you that getting diagnosed can take ages and my experience of then moving to treatment is that that can take a long time, too. So it is good that you’ve got as far as you have. In the UK NHS you can imagine that neurosurgery and interventional radiology gets prioritised to those most in need. Since your doctor is comfortable that yours is at least not urgent, you’ll be waiting until October to progress. So long as you stay nicely without symptoms (other than the PT) that should be OK. If you start to get new symptoms or anything sudden or significant, go straight back to the doctor. If you need moving up the queue, they’ll move you. If you have anything significant going on, go to A&E. Don’t dither, just do it.

Ok?

I had a DAVF which was an artery discharging into my transverse sinus, but with a diminution of my right TVS so it was whooshing both ways – both ears – through both TVSs. I think mine was of a more aggressive kind and I had “reflux” – reverse flow along veins that would normally be upstream to my TVS but because of that diminution (= narrowing) more blood was flowing in than could flow back to the heart and I could feel veins inflating on the back of my head, strong enough to lift your fingers up, and some dizziness as well as PT.

I first heard mine in Oct 15. First got worried about increasing noise in Apr 16 and saw my GP. Saw an ENT man in September 16 who recognised it immediately as at least "AVM. Saw a neurointerventional radiologist in Nov 16 and finally had an embolization in April 17.

Hope this helps.

It’s great to have you join us. It is often a very worrying time but getting to know more about it can help. Being able to ask the right questions can also help. Feel free to ask anything.

Very best wishes

Richard

hi Richard

thanks alot for your explanation and advice. as you can imagine i have been researching since last November exactly what could be going on. avm and Davf were always what I thought could be going on. it’s good to hear other people’s stories and like you say its a long process trying to get answers properly.

regards
chris

Chris,

If it helps to read my “journey” parts 1 & 2 are here: My Update - Dural AVF Embolization

I feel I did much as you are doing at much the same pace! As long as you stay “well” I’m sure you’ll be fine. If you start to get worse, nag like crazy. One of my GPs was my greatest lever.

Richard

yeah from day one I’ve been a pest to every gp / ent / secretary I’ve came across. infact i had a argument with ent when I got feeling he was brushing me off with tinnitus . just goes to show i was right though.

I will have a read of your journey. I’ve been on whooshers facebook page which helps in regards to PT but found this site once I came to conclusion consultant means I have avm or fistula.

chris