Insurance let down

Hello,

My name is Kelly and one of my best friends in this world suffers from AVM like all of you. He switched locations in his job from West Coast back to the East Coast and the insurance carrier dropped him like a bad habit. I know you all know not only how hard it is to have this medical issue, but to pay for it out of pocket. We're in our early 20's and money is just not there. Is there any advice or great insurance companies out there that you know of that can help?

Thanks-Kelly

Kelly:
Welcome to the AVM survivors Board. You will find a lot of friendly people on it, and a lot of information.
Having an AVM can be a very expensive ailment to treat, and having insurance is important.

I understand that under Obama’s Health Plan, a person cannot be denied coverage because of an existing condition. I think that rule is in effect now. Not sure though.
If you could identify the state he is in, maybe someone in that area would have some suggestions. Good luck

Dewey

Oh I hadn’t thought of that. He’s in Illinois. Thank you that was very helpful! Boy did I come to the right place.

I formally was a Human Resource Manager before I had my brain bleed and I believe it’s illegal for your friend to be dropped. Call the State’s Department that can tell you if it’s illegal that your friend was dropped.

you know, something that really makes me upset. But have your friend try again, and maybe he can consult with lawyer who can help direct him, usually a legal aid lawyer. It may just take a simple memo from the lawyer’s office to the insurance company to get this resolved. You know scare them a little. Maybe the underwriter who denied his insurance or got them cancelled is ill informed of what the state laws are. Good Luck !

If your friend is still within the same company and just relocated it would be illegal! The only reason I thing I can think of is that perhaps he had a lapse in coverage when he moved? If that’s the case it may be more difficult. I, like Louisa (love you!) was a Human Resource Manager in my former life! Good luck.

Wow, I never thought I’d have so much feedback within such a short period! Thank you everyone. I know he appreciates all the support even if it is through a middle man, or woman in this case. I’ll look into everything suggested.

There was a lapse in coverage which is why he was dropped. I know his HR team have been trying very hard to get him on some sort of plan. They think they can enroll him in something else but it doesn’t cover anything but CT scans and my goodness I could pay out of pocket for those!

Thanks again for everything, he is doing better, although he had to go in for s Cerebral Angiogram last week and get put on 2 medications and that’s all out of pocket. He had been going through Gamma Knife treatments for a while and they thought his was gone. Until 5 months later the headaches returned and they found 3 small ones, so small they can’t surgically remove them.

Hopefully he’ll get through this and now I know where to find help and good advice :slight_smile:

Kelly who knew you’d have so many “experts” here to consult with! Glad we could help. I sincerely hope you can find help with this. Anyway, if your friend decides he needs some advice or support, get him/her join also!

HI, KELLY NOT REALLY SURE ABOUT THE INSURANCE DROPPING HIM, BUT HERE IN TEXAS IT DOESNT MATTER IF U HAVE INS. OR NOT THEY STILL HAVE TO TREAT YOU AND JUST KEEP BILLIN YOU, BUT THEY CANT REFUSE TO TREAT YOU. IT WILL COST A LOT OF MONEY AND NO ONE CAN PAY THESE KINDS OF BILLS OUT OF POCKET THERE IS NO WAY, BUT DO WHAT THE OTHER’S HAVE SUGGESTED TO GET SOME HELP. I WILL KEPT YOU IN MY PRAY’S WHAT’S YOUR FRIEND’S NAME CAUSE I LIKE TO PRAY FOR MY FRIENDS BY NAME. I DO HAVE INS. BUT I GET A BILL FOR WHAT THE INS. DIDNT PAY AND I DONT WORRY ABOUT IT BECAUSE THEY HAVE TO TREAT ME AND THAT’S ALL THAT MATTER’S . GOD BLESS

When I had my bleed in April, I had just lost my insurance a month before because my COBRA had run out, and my group enrollment wasn’t until May. My bleed was unexpected - I had no idea I had an AVM or even what it was. The bills came to over $300,000. There are programs that can help - in California it’s Medical. But I made too much money last year so I don’t qualify. No worries, I will be going bankrupt, but I’m alive and that’s all that matters. Your friend’s health is more important than money. Money can be replaced, especially at your age. Look at your state for health care assistance. But tell your friend to take care of his health and not worry about the cost. If he can get signed up for group coverage through his job, they can’t deny him care for pre-existing conditions. Even without insurance he can get care. I did.

Oh not to be confused, he didn’t stop treatment. He’s still going. We’re just trying to find out how this kind of thing can be banned from coverage. I’m merely fact finding, and I really appreciate all the kindness and great advice, really I do. Good luck everyone!