Infoneed

Just thought I would ask if anyone has any improvement from deficits after Gamma Knife treatment. My son is at the 8 mo. mark Drs. think it should start doing what it does? I hope all of you are hopeful about the new year.
Thanks
Ron

Hi Ron,
At eight months post-gamma knife for me, the AVM was swelling a bit but that was to be expected (or maybe by then, the swelling had started to go down. Don’t remember exactly.). As far as deficits go, I needed occupational therapy, physiotherapy, and speech language therapy (for my memory) in the months after the bleed. I can’t say I really saw improvements in those areas as a direct result of having the Gamma Knife (I was ten years old at the time); it was really the therapy that helped.
Wishing you and your son all the best!
From, Julia

1 Like

Ron, I had gamma knife 26 months ago, that was 6 months post bleed. Most of my deficits had subsided by the time I had my treatment although my short term memory is not as sharp or my recall as quick. This I attribute to the bleed. I did have some odd head feeling around the 6 month mark and some sharp pains that also subsided. I do hate to say that as yesterday I had similar type feelings so not sure what that may be related to. The 6 month mark is fairly common to notice “stuff” happening in their and not that unusual for people to require steroids to address the swelling associated to the GK even that long after the fact. Take Care, John.

I also hate to say but I noticed today that I had the weird feeling in my head, weekness, confusion and nausea that I always tought and had everyday from the 9m-1year post gammaknife… Can it steal be active the radiation? I just wish this stopped…

I think it still can be the radiation as it has a long time, and may be some swelling. If you have nausea and confusion as well I would seek a consult with a Dr. to get checked. I sort of justify the odd feeling that maybe thats another vessel closing off and changing the blood flow. I’ve no idea if that is the case or not, and wether the feeling goes away or I just adjust. I am starting to think that my level of hydration effects the way my head feels and need to do some research on that. Take Care, John.

I appreciate the feed back, thanks. I’m trying to get feed back on deficits, pre Gamma Knife treatment. My son had lost ability to walk, vision was impaired, movements were spastic before his treatment. He has slowly deteriorated over the years after first GM 30 years ago, Drs. are saying deficits may improve from latest treatment. Has any experienced improvement from long term deficits after GM? Thanks again for any additional info.

Ron