Increased risk?

@Gayilsmom

Hi. I’m going to find a couple of links for you.

The first I have is a link to the Association of British Neurologists advice, dating from 26 March as to the risk groups for coronavirus. It doesn’t seem to have been updated since. In that article, there is reference to increased risk of poor outcomes for people with cerebral palsy, so I think that depending on whether an AVM has a significant impact on brain function, similar to cerebral palsy or some other neurological conditions, it may indicate a need to be especially vigilant.

The other resource list has been compiled by a moderator on one of the other Ben’s Friends patient communities. I’ll link that one separately.

As TJ indicates, I don’t think that having a brain AVM increases the risk of catching coronavirus; it may affect the severity of the disease, if contracted.

I also agree with Angela that the thing to do is to satisfy yourself about the protections being put in place at school. It is absolutely about risk likelihood reduction, though. There is nothing that I know of that is current focussed on the reduction of the impact of an infection. Make sense?

Best wishes,

Richard

1 Like