I'm Doing Extremely Well!

An eight hour micro-surgical resection of my cerebral AVM was successfully accomplished by Dr. Tamargo at Johns Hopkins Hospital on August 28. Additional cerebral angiograms were acquired at the commencement of surgery to more precisely localize the AVM and again following surgery to confirm its successful removal. The AVM was at/near the brain surface. Within the tangle of "bad" blood vessels there were a couple of good ones supplying blood to functioning brain tissue that had to be protected/avoided.

The operating room in the neurosurgery wing of the brand-new Johns Hopkins Zayed Tower is amazingly high-tech. The care by every single person I encountered at Hopkins was extremely compassionate, professional, and clearly 1st class. It is no wonder that Johns Hopkins is rated Number One among United States hospitals for Neurology and Neurosurgery. I was particularly impressed by my Neurosurgical team and by the staff of the Johns Hopkins Neurocritical Care Unit. I cannot speak highly enough of my surgeon, Dr. Tamargo, who is the world-renowned Director of Cerebrovascular Neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital.

I am doing extremely well. The evening after my surgery I was able to get up, use the "facilities", and briefly walk out into the hall. I left the Neurocritical Care Unit after 3 days and was released from the hospital after 5 days. All 64 staples were removed from my scalp one week after surgery. Moderate to severe migraine-like pain sometimes makes it difficult to concentrate. I wish I had more ambition and didn't have to nap so frequently. However, I've been able to slow-walk my neighborhood for an hour each afternoon and have spent quite a bit of time on the porch enjoying the beautiful fall weather. I have had no seizure, confusion, motor, or vision problems. I am scheduled to meet with Dr. Tamargo on October 10th to review my progress and receive his clearance to "get on with my life".

I have been very blessed by friends and family, including you friends from AVMSurvivors.com. Those of you from the Mid-Atlantic AVM Survivors Group have been wonderful. Thanks so very much for your kind encouragement and most of all for your prayers.

-Mike

It's so good to hear from you, Mike. I'm so glad you are doing well!

Super Hurrah!!

So glad everything went well!
Rest, rest, rest & have a smooth recovery. :)

Fantastic news that you are doing so well, Mike!

Mike, It really sounds like you have been blessed. Makes me happy for you and your family. My now seven year old grandson just asked his Mother (my daughter) a few days ago ---- Mom why did this have to happen to me? It happened six months ago, he was six years old at the time and no symptoms leading up to his avm (bleed) We are so lucky that he pulled through. I know there is always that question (why). I also believe when it's your time then it's your time to go and God has other things in store for you now. So glad you are doing great! I will put you on our prayer list.

Wonderful news, Mike! Keep resting and healing! Let us know how your appointment goes on the 10th.

So pleased to hear that you're doing well Mike. My mom has been treated at Johns Hopkins for years (cancer). No doubt they are top notch in a lot of areas. Headaches are common following a craniotomy, which I'm sure your doctor told you. Those will diminish over time. Give yourself plenty of time to heal. Rest often, you need to and you deserve it!

Wonderful news Mike, glad to hear from you! Thoughts and prayers for continued healing! Blessings! Marie

Happy news, Mike! I'm so glad that things are progressing well for you!