If you had an angiogram did they find what was wrong? Or they didn't find anything

Also, If you had one, did you have any complications? I was told if I had one there is a chance I could die or be parylazed.

If you had one, did you have any complications?

Were you told there was nothing they could do to fix you?

I understand this is the gold standard of testing but I have read on another website that the Dr.s usually do not find anything different than what they see on an MRi/MRA/MRV/CT.

Thanks for your response.

Lori

Hi Lori. There is a risk with any medical procedure. If you truly want answers…do the angio. I had 3 of them done. Hardest part is being on your back for about 6 hours after they are finished. Please keep us informed as to your progress!

Lots of scary stuff can happen (if you want extra panic just go through the forums) most of which occurs very rarely. Maybe while your on the table of an angiography suite , you are saver than at home fixing stuff or out walking the street (you could get hit by a lightning);) . It's no big deal really.

I had two so far, one diagnostic and one interventional. Nothing went wrong.

The whole point is to selectively visualize your vasculature. They pump a radiopaque agent (stuff you can see in xray) through your blood vessels, Then they can see exactly where your AVM is and how exactly it is constructed (like where the feeders come from etc.). That's why it's refered to as the 'gold standard' because that way you know what is going on rather than e.g. in an MRI image where you see things in less detail.

In my case they didn’t see my AVM on the MRI/MRA. The Doctors knew something was wrong because I had a stroke. It was only when they did the angiogram that the found the bleed.

Love the cartoon!

What is the dfference between a diagnostic vs interventional angiography?

Do they now use something to clot the leg so you don't have to be still for 6 hours?
Can you wiggle you toes, ankles?
OK the big question... what about having to use the restroom?

Hmmmm…as a female…I hated the bedpan.

I've had a couple. The first time was just after my bleed, and they did it because there was not enough detail from the MRI/CT - the blood creates a 'cloud'.

The second was just prior to my craniotomy, and again, it was for the detail the angiogram shows. For this one, I only had to lie down for 4 hours, and you can wiggle your toes.

An Angiogram is an invasive procedure, and like any other it has it's risks, albeit very small. It's standard to detail risks, rather like the possible side effects for a commercial for a prescription drug.

Hi Lori,
I had 1 angiogram after my initial bleed/diagnosis & nothing showed up, as I have cavernous malformations (same vascular malformation 'family' as AVM) but CM's do not show up on angiography.
As Barbara mentioned, laying flat on my back for what seemed an eternity & yes, the dreaded bed-pan! I also experienced some nausea & dizziness for a time following the procedure, but was otherwise 'uneventful.' :)

Hey,
also love the cartoon. The relaxed atmosphere it suggests can be real if you calm down a bit and let things around you happen :)

By intervention I mean something is done about the disease. Like in my case, they filled up part of my formation with a special plastic substance in order to stop growth. Solely diagnostic processes are there to gather information on the disease only.

Regarding the post angigraphy situation: After both sessions they compressed my groin for some minutes, then put a bandage around it and let me lay down for 12 hours. I think that is to keep blood preasure and other mechanical stress on the incision low until the blood clotting process finished. As you see in other hospitals they say 6 hours. Afterwards I stayed for the night, something that can vary as well.

To be honest, this post-angiography part is the only thing I don't like about the treatment. But you should see the positive aspects: Without that imaging technology, the only approaches to gain insights on lesions like AVMs would be surgical ones. So hey...

I wish you best success in treatment and diagnosis. Keep us posted :)

My son Jake had a bleed and the MRI showed the bleed but not the avm - the angio was needed for that. Hes had 3 now, he reacted badly to the last one, we aren't sure if it was more due to the anaesthetic though (he had to be sedated as hes only 9). He was kept in overnight as he had bad sickness and headaches, but was fine the next day.

For Jake's Mam...
I had some reaction problems also. Demoral made me very nauseous and I vomited for hours. The least little noise would set off another round of the dry heaves. It was miserable. A Valium and Vistaril "cocktail" is usually more than enough for me, especially if they give a dose of morphine with it.

I also had problems with Versed, which did exactly the opposite of what it is supposed to do. It is frequently given prior to a procedure to calm you down and to create amnesia to the event. The first time it made me very anxious, although I did not recognize the cause. The next time I told them what I had experienced and the nurse explained my 6' 5", 210 pound body probably didn't get enough, so they gave me MORE. YIKES!! I very nearly yanked the catheter out of my groin and walked out of the place in my gown. After that I included Versed in my list of allergies. I have not had any problems since.

Whenever Jake gets medication always write it down. Include a note as to the effect of the medication. Don't trust your memory. At some point you will be able to correlate the causes and their effects. Be sure to share these things with your doctor, the nurse, the anesthesiologist, and anyone else providing care for your son. You are his best advocate and he relies on you.