I have hit a plateu

So it has been now 10 months since my AVM ruptured and I had a craniotomy to evacuate it and subsequent stroke. I feel like I have reached a plateu in respects to my cognitive progress. I tell my hubby I have ' sundowners syndrome' not to make fun of the elderly but because I do better early in the day and as the day progresses I decline in my cognitive functions, that is to say I am not me, not the me prior to this whole ordeal I went through.

I discussed this with my neurologist, who tells me that some people make fast recoveries and plateu and continue to make progress very slowly. He also said some folks just plateu and stay there. Of course I am thinking I am the former type of person cuz I think it would drive me crazy if I don't continue to make progress. I know I should just be grateful for the fact that I am alive, after all the neurosurgeon that did my surgery told my family that my chances were very slim, but I have self-awareness of the things that I am doing wrong when it come to the cognitive even though I am not able to correct them or avoid making the mistake, so I figure that must mean something, right?

On a bright note I have finally convinced my 6 year old daughter that if mommy had not had what happend to her then I would not be a stay at home mommy and would not be able to do all the things I get to do with her and her sister because work would have sometimes interfered.

Of course being a stay-at-home-mom is a lot more work than working outside the house, no hour lunch and no leaving the work behind at the end of the work day, but the perks do outweigh working somewhere else and my girls love having their momma!

Dear Carolina,
Your message so rang home for me. I turned into a house dad. The recovery from a stroke can last 8 years or even longer. I still see occasional things I’m doing better at, and it has been 5 1/2 for me. So keep on keeping on. Maybe even write down some things you notice doing better. It will inspire you. But most of all, exercise your mind. Read, talk to people, and do things around the house. Find the time that suits you best, let your body & mind tell you that.

James…

Hi Carolina,

While the aftermath from having my AVM removed have been relatively light compared to many others on this site, I’m currently having a parallel of your plateau experience with fighting arthritis. But today I was able to a yoga pose that I hadn’t been able to do since my AVM was removed almost a year ago.

Also, from reading other people’s posts, it might help to get more rest. I know that’s hard when you’re a stay-at-home mom, but your brain has gone through a lot, and it needs downtime to recover.

All the best,

Debbie

Hello Carolina !
This is an excellent post - so filled with joy and the celebration of life and living !
You have made great strides forward ( or have you been running head-long …) and you are amazing !! I am looking forward to your post about the next platue you reach . ( But first I must rest because I am tired from reading about all you have accomplished in such a short time ! ) Keep reaching Carolina and do not forget to sleep . Be good to you . Take care of you .

That is what my hubby keeps telling me, but it is kinda hard for me since I am so used to go, go, go, go all the time.

James Larken Smith said:

Dear Carolina,
Your message so rang home for me. I turned into a house dad. The recovery from a stroke can last 8 years or even longer. I still see occasional things I’m doing better at, and it has been 5 1/2 for me. So keep on keeping on. Maybe even write down some things you notice doing better. It will inspire you. But most of all, exercise your mind. Read, talk to people, and do things around the house. Find the time that suits you best, let your body & mind tell you that.

James…

Don’t minimize your experience, having an AVM is quite a unique experience since there are not many of us out there. It is great that you have been able to make progress with your yoga.

Debbie Considine said:

Hi Carolina,

While the aftermath from having my AVM removed have been relatively light compared to many others on this site, I’m currently having a parallel of your plateau experience with fighting arthritis. But today I was able to a yoga pose that I hadn’t been able to do since my AVM was removed almost a year ago.

Also, from reading other people’s posts, it might help to get more rest. I know that’s hard when you’re a stay-at-home mom, but your brain has gone through a lot, and it needs downtime to recover.

All the best,

Debbie

Marianne I have had no choice but to hit the ground running from the moment I regained consciousness (25 days later) I guess I know no different although this has really knocked me on my tush. I am really trying to slow down and find it hard sometimes. But then were would the fun be if I didn’t have to work at it, plus it makes me look at things in a very different way.
marianne elizondo said:

Hello Carolina !
This is an excellent post - so filled with joy and the celebration of life and living !
You have made great strides forward ( or have you been running head-long …) and you are amazing !! I am looking forward to your post about the next platue you reach . ( But first I must rest because I am tired from reading about all you have accomplished in such a short time ! ) Keep reaching Carolina and do not forget to sleep . Be good to you . Take care of you .