I do strange things, is this my AVM

Hi all, I have had a pretty good day today, housework, washing and gardening and only a short nap lol, but then tonight after cooking tea and doing the dishes I decided to make a cup of tea but for some reason I put the tea bag then the sugar then a packet of vanilla latte, stupid, I stood there looking at it knowing something was wrong but took me a fair while to work out what I had done. I do strange things like this all the time, and now of course I have a headache again.

Does anyone else do these strange things on a regular basis, or have trouble finding the correct words to use etc, these things are getting a lot more frequent with me now. I don't know if it is the AVM or not.

Yes Yes Yes, you mean things like:

** You crack an egg, then open the egg over the disposal and put the shell in the egg bowl, or

** You walk from the house to the garage, get there, and wonder what you wanted to do, or

** You plan to drive to mail a letter, drive right by the post office, to the coffee shop, then back by the post office, and the letter you wanted to mail is still on the dash when you get home!

Yep, I have that; unfortunately, I can't blame it on the AVM cuz I don't have one (wife does)! My buddies claim it is "CRS syndrome", which stands for "Can't Remember Sh*t". Typically occurs in aging men...............

Seriously, it might be from the AVM, or might not. If the AVM is in an area or near an area that controls speech, it might affect your speech and ability to chose words. Might speak with your DR about it, but his opinion might not be more than a guess either.

Best wishes,

Ron, KS

LOL, yep a bit like that but all the time, not just age I don't think, but maybe it could be. I was trying to put my shoe on the other day and it took me a while to realise I couldn't put it on because I still had my slippers on. Was sitting in a lazy boy chair that I always sit in but could not work out how to put the foot rest up. Put the milk in the cupboard and my cup of coffee in the fridge. I suppose it does sound really funny and I do laugh about it, but it also scares me a bit.
thanks for the reply, I will talk to Prof about it at some stage.

take care

DM
Ron, Kansas said:

Yes Yes Yes, you mean things like:

** You crack an egg, then open the egg over the disposal and put the shell in the egg bowl, or

** You walk from the house to the garage, get there, and wonder what you wanted to do, or

** You plan to drive to mail a letter, drive right by the post office, to the coffee shop, then back by the post office, and the letter you wanted to mail is still on the dash when you get home!

Yep, I have that; unfortunately, I can't blame it on the AVM cuz I don't have one (wife does)! My buddies claim it is "CRS syndrome", which stands for "Can't Remember Sh*t". Typically occurs in aging men...............

Seriously, it might be from the AVM, or might not. If the AVM is in an area or near an area that controls speech, it might affect your speech and ability to chose words. Might speak with your DR about it, but his opinion might not be more than a guess either.

Best wishes,

Ron, KS

I do it all the time. I don’t have my AVM anymore, only the after effects of the bleed but I’m sure in my case it has to be related. I’m constantly walking in circles trying to remember what it was I was doing just moments before. Or looking for something I set down and then cannot find. Or finding my cell phone in the trash can, after calling it to find out where it was!

I can totally relate to this. I have moments when I’m looking for something then can’t remember what I’m looking for. I go to the kitchen to make eggs and take out rice. I take out the iron, get my clothes and wonder why the iron isn’t on…cause I never plugged it in. I’ll often do things out of order now. I’ve also put my socks on then reached for nylons… It could be the AVM or it could be that I have other things on my mind. Not really sure. Mine controls motor, sensory and speech…

thanks for the reply, yep I threw my wallet out in the rubbish bin and only just found it before the bin collection, very lucky.

take care

DM
Trish said:

I do it all the time. I don't have my AVM anymore, only the after effects of the bleed but I'm sure in my case it has to be related. I'm constantly walking in circles trying to remember what it was I was doing just moments before. Or looking for something I set down and then cannot find. Or finding my cell phone in the trash can, after calling it to find out where it was!

thanks for the reply, it makes me feel a bit better knowing there are other people that do that sort of thing. It is not a thing I do now and again, it is a daily thing, I think I drive everyone mad.

take care

DM

Jessica Ables said:

I can totally relate to this. I have moments when I'm looking for something then can't remember what I'm looking for. I go to the kitchen to make eggs and take out rice. I take out the iron, get my clothes and wonder why the iron isn't on...cause I never plugged it in. I'll often do things out of order now. I've also put my socks on then reached for nylons.... It could be the AVM or it could be that I have other things on my mind. Not really sure. Mine controls motor, sensory and speech....

I’ve done a lot of weird stupid things now, I exasperate a lot of people!!

You are not alone :wink: I do & say some crazy things all the time.I can’t say it’s from age as I’m only 33…LOL Sometimes I feel totally ass backwards & I do things I have never done before my AVM. I usually just go with it & laugh it off. It’s an ongoing joke in my house. When someone says something about it I just say “Well I have an excuse to why I do some stupid things whats yours” LOL

Unfortunately, part of brain injury. Time will make it better, then you can blame it on old age. But being tired or stressed really makes it worse. Make sure you get plenty of rest and do not get in a hurry if you can help it.

My husband makes coffee with cold water all the time as he thinks he has put the kettle on but hasnt.Oh and the other day he stabbed himself with a knife in the mounth for no apparent reason.cc

Hi, yep I do the coffee thing, but thank god I have not stabbed myself with a knife or hurt myself at all. OMG that would be very scary, you must walk on egg shells sometimes wondering what he could or will do next time. I feel for you and him.

Stay strong an take care

DM
cc said:

My husband makes coffee with cold water all the time as he thinks he has put the kettle on but hasnt.Oh and the other day he stabbed himself with a knife in the mounth for no apparent reason.cc

Since I found out about my AVM, I have been doing so many strange things like this, quite often! I used to never have issues typing or spelling, but lately I have been typing incorrect words and misspelling. It's not just typing and spelling though.

I know for me its not the AVM itself, but rather I think my brain is just exhausted from the whole situation. I think something had to give since there has been so much new information to process. When I found out, I spent/spend a lot of time thinking about the AVM and I think I wore myself out mentally. It's strange thought, it's not like I'm stressed out and do something crazy, I'm just doing something normal and not thinking about anything but it's like I'm not functioning very well on autopilot anymore. You know what I mean by "autopilot"? There are things that I've done everyday for long periods of time that I normally don't have to think about while I do them, but these days it's different.I really need to pay attention, not that that's a bad thing.

Mostly though, for me, I think it's just a state of mental exhaustion. By the way, I tried your tips on meditation right before bed and I fell asleep almost immediately! Thanks =)

Monica SATX said:

Since I found out about my AVM, I have been doing so many strange things like this, quite often! I used to never have issues typing or spelling, but lately I have been typing incorrect words and misspelling. It's not just typing and spelling though.

I know for me its not the AVM itself, but rather I think my brain is just exhausted from the whole situation. I think something had to give since there has been so much new information to process. When I found out, I spent/spend a lot of time thinking about the AVM and I think I wore myself out mentally. It's strange thought, it's not like I'm stressed out and do something crazy, I'm just doing something normal and not thinking about anything but it's like I'm not functioning very well on autopilot anymore. You know what I mean by "autopilot"? There are things that I've done everyday for long periods of time that I normally don't have to think about while I do them, but these days it's different.I really need to pay attention, not that that's a bad thing.

Mostly though, for me, I think it's just a state of mental exhaustion. By the way, I tried your tips on meditation right before bed and I fell asleep almost immediately! Thanks =)

Being that I have right-side partial paralysis, my brain does not talk to my right side anymore, which makes my coordination off. People who "think the know" what it is like call it everything from "weakness to vertigo". It is scrambled signals and miscommunication. Hard to explain to those who have not been there or here. When they look at you and you have no visible signs of injury, they assume you are retarded or do not really have anything wrong except maybe little limp.

Even those who have not had a "bleed" have pressure on delicate brain tissue and nerves. Having a bleed is like throwing water on a fire or electric circuit. Much will come back after surgery if you have had no bleed. Other issue is the bllod on the brain tissue creates iron deposits and scar tissue. They have come a long way since my surgery in preventing some of that but will always be some residual issues.

For those who have been able to be diagnosed before a "bleed", you are very lucky, not nearly the damage as there would be if you have blood on those tiny, minute neurons. We strongly believe that a CT Scan should be part of a physical for everyone at least once in there life to catch congenital defects.

I can relate to this 100%. My AVM is gone, but still do that all the time. I guess it is just part of the AVM/post-op effects. I do have to say I think it has gotten a bit worse since surgery.

Cld be to do with higher executive functioning being effected. Ask your dr about this - sequential thought, planning, stuff like that, ask to have some tests done.

good luck

flower