Husband Very Angry After Seizure

My husband discovered that he has an AVM in his right temporal lobe back in July 2015. He found out by getting an MRI after having a grand mal seizure at work and then one in the ER. Back then it seemed like his issues were confusion and being angry a bit after getting Keppra. Well, he had 2 more grand mal seizure this past weekend (3/18/16)because he forgot to take his meds that day. The doctor decided to double his dose of Keppra to 1000 mg 2 times a day. Now that he is home, he has become VERY irritable and VERY angry! Everything I say or do sets him off. I don’t know what to do. Is it the keppra, is it from the seizures or is it a combination of both? I don’t know what to do. I do not do well with someone yelling at me just because I asked if he was hungry or not.

My story is very similar to yours but my husband just found out this month after having his first seizure my husband was not angry but a bit edgy and said quite often that he was not a baby and didn’t like all of us watching him like he was but he has come to understand that until we know how his meds are gonna work and he goes back to the doctor that we all gonna be here however we have all backed away and gave him some space and let him do his own thing we just watch him from the side line I hope this helps but I don’t think it’s the keppra his just got increased to 1500 twice daily

Hey, Keppra is often referee to as keppRAGE. It makes people irritable, my doctor told me that I need to drink more water when I told him I have been yelling at everyone around me for no reason. Best of luck to him!

Hi Matt, After talking to his doctor at my husband’s follow up visit, she said that after having a seizure a person can go through a lot of feelings. By the second week he was doing much better and a LOT less angry. I have heard that keppra can make people angry and I see that in him mainly when he is at work. He gets very irritable with things that happen at the job and I try to calm him down. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. What I think helps him the most is that he plays a lot of golf and tries to live a stress free or atleast a less stressful life. There are times when there are things that set him off but that happens once every other month. I think his behavior after he second seizure incident was more noticeable for me because he came home the same day that he had the seizure. When it first happened he was in the hospital for 3 days so I didn’t experience the same behavior from the second one. Thanks for the response.