How long?

Hi I'm a 24 year old lad from the u.k, my fiancé Amy 30yr old collapsed at work on the 10 of June this year. She was 24 weeks pregnant at the time so at first we thought it was related but within 20 minutes things got very serious very quick. She under went a 6hour lifesaving operation to stop the bleeding from a large avm. Things have been going very well since and Amy came home last week to get ready for the birth of our little boy who is due in 2 days! She lost the complete use of her right side and her speech. Amy has slight movements coming back in her legs and has been up and walking for a few minutes here and there with the aid of a stick but gets tired very quick, her speech is slowly improving as well and is now able to say a variety of words. My main concern is that amy keeps asking about her arm and will it get better and how long until she recovers completely or if she will recover completely and was wondering if any one could share some information or possibly give me some advice thanks

Congrats on the pending birth of your baby boy!

The good news is that she’s still very early in her recovery. I’m sure therapy will be a part of it, and they will work with her arm. She’s fortunate to have a supportive partner. No one knows for sure what the future holds, but she’s just beginning her journey. All the best!

Thankyou Tim

Hi, I'm not sure if a therapist has seen her already, but some advice that my husbands therapist gave us is to always remind him of his weaker side. The way she explained it is that the brain ignores one side and is unaware that it may be there. So when you talk to her, stand on her right side, touch her right side to make her aware it is there, remind her about it and always place the arm in her line of sight. But as Tim says, therapy will do her well going forward. Goodluck with the next few weeks and stay strong!

Hi every action has a reaction, Wow, Congratulations firstly on the pending birth of your baby. My first reactions is to say that just try to enjoy the birth and ensure all goes smooth for that, Then your partner can start her journey to recovery, I too am from the UK and so I'm well aware of how things work and I am a parent of 3 young boys now. Your fiancés doctors are probably working to the same agenda in that they want to ensure that she is fine through the pregnancy and also the health of the baby, Then they will start to explore the options for her. Wishing you well and hope all goes great !, Take care.

Hi , I’m also from the U.K. I also had a bleed from an AVM 10 months ago. I lost my ability to speak and use of my right arm and got tired very quickly. I have now returned to full time employment, have regained use of my right side and my speech. I still get more tired than before and then my speech falters. I am awaiting Gamma knife treatment as my AVM is inoperable due to its location.Everyones recovery is different but my recovery started with a few words, a little bit of feeling in my arm and here I am today nearly back to how I was before. Stay positive. Wishing you lots of luck and congratulations on the birth of your child.

Thankyou everyone for your messages and kind wishes it's a great help