How do you mentally prepare for this...?

Im trying to prepare my mind and body for my upcoming embolization on June 16, 201l. My neurosurgeon said that if I'm not cured with embolization alone, then he will do craniotomy the following day. So, I'm trying to mentally prepare myself (if there's such a thing) to undergo a craniotomy. Im terrified! I read so many stories. Some good, some bad... Ugghhh!! Some of the posts I read by fellow AVM'ers that have undergone embolizations and or craniotomies were vague. They didnt mention whether or not they sustained any type of deficits as a result of the embolization and/or craniotomy? How long do you have stay out of work? How long is the hospital stay? Does it hurt when you get the staples, sutures removed? Any insight would be helpful, please? The closer I get to June 16, 2011, the more Im freaking out. Thanks in advance.

My AVM is in the right cerebellum. Any tips?

-Keena

I am just starting my journey with this so I don't have much to offer. Just try to stay positive and enjoy life, you will get through this!

Every person is different, every AVM is different, so it’s impossible to answer a lot of your questions. I had a massive bleed so I didn’t know I’d even had embos or a crani until much later. The deficits that I have are the result of the bleed, not the surgery. You should talk to your neurosurgeon about what type of deficits you may experience, if any. The would be determined by many factors, size of the AVM, location, etc. The surgeon should have a pretty good idea of what the potential deficits are based on where the AVM is. You probably can’t know for certain how long you’re going to stay out of work. I would say it depends on how the procedures go, if you have any deficits, and how well you recover. Your surgeon should be able to answer a lot of these questions. I understand your fear, I think I would be terrified too. I was lucky (if you can call it that) that I didn’t have to wait around worrying. I was pleasantly comatose for all of that! :). Best of luck to you and please let us know how it goes on teh 16th.

Hi Chikeena. I only had a craniotomy done. I was just so excited to get that nasty thing out of my brain. Having surgery was a piece of cake compared to the bleed. My deficits actually improved after surgery since they mopped up some of the blood in there. I think Trish pretty much covered everything else I was going to say. I will be praying for you!!!

Hi Keena, I’m getting a craniotomy done on June 16th, the same day as your embolization, so we can mentally prepare together! A few weeks ago I couldn’t even think about the surgery without wanting to throw-up with fear, but here are a few Books/audio CDs that have REALLY helped me, and I suggest going onto Amazon and ordering them ASAP because they have truly changed the way I feel going into this. The first is a guided imagery CD which I listen to every night before I go to bed, and it is THE BEST. It is called Successful Surgery - Health Journeys by Belleruth Naparstek. The second item is a book called “Prepare for Surgery. Heal Faster” by Peggy Huddleston. If I had to pick one, I would say order the CD because it focuses on using the technique of guided imagery to calm your nerves, and the positive affirmations and words of encouragement really get into your subconscious if you try your best to listen to it every night leading up to the surgery (you can even request to listen to it in the operating room). Hope this helps!

HI, LET ME GIVE YOU THESE WORDS PRAY IS THE BEST ANSWER FOR ALL YOUR FEAR, I STAND ON THAT WORD WITH ALL I HAVE IN ME, I HAVE A VERY LARGE PRAY GROUP AND BELEIVE ME GOD DOES ANSWER PRAYS, I KNOW YOU HAVE READ A LOT OF STORIES AND SO DID I BEFORE MY SURGERY BUT I TOOK IT TO GOD AND LEFT IT THERE, I HAD NO FEAR I KNEW HE HAD ME COVERED WITH HIS HEALIN POWER, I TELL EVERYONE I MEET THAT DONT KNOW ME THAT I HAD BRAIN SURGERY IN OCT. THEY CANT BELIEVE IT BUT IT’S TRUE, THE POWER OF GOD IS AWESOME AND HE WILL GIVE YOU PEACE MORE THAN YOU EVEN KNEW YOU COULD HAVE FACED WITH THIS AVM. I AM NOW BACK TO FULL TIME WORK, MY STAPLES CAME OUT ABOUT TWO WEEKS AFTER SURGERY, I HAD TWO EMBO. BEFORE THE SURGERY, I KNOW EVERYONE’S AVM IS DIFFERENT BUT IF HE COULD HEAL ME WHY NOT YOU, YOU ARE ONE OF GOD’S CHILDREN JUST LIKE I AM AND IF HE DID IT FOR ME HE WILL SURELY DO IT FOR YOU ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS TRUST AND PRAY. BE BLESSED WILL CHECK ON YOU AFTER SURGERY PLEASE POST AND LET US KNOW HOW YOU ARE, GET SOME REST YOU NEED TO BE AS RELAXED AS YOU CAN BEFORE THE 16TH NO STRESS NO PROBLEMS LEAVE THE STRESS TO OTHERS, JUST RELAX AND PRAY IT WORKS.

1 Like

Sheree: Thank you for the words of inspiration and encouragement! They are just what I needed to hear! Did it hurt to get your staples out?

HI CHIKEENA. NO IT DIDNT HURT AT ALL TO GET THEM REMOVED LOL IT JUST DIDNT HURT, I CAN REMEMBER WHILE IN THE HOSPITAL I HAD TO HAVE SOME FLUID DRAINED FROM WHERE THE STAPLES WERE AND MY DOC STUCK A NEEDLE IN MY HEAD AND IT DIDNT HURT WE LAUGH CAUSE I ASKED HIM DID YOU JUST STICK THAT IN MY HEAD HE SAID YES I DID, I HAVE A GREAT DOCTOR GOD SENT HIM TO, I AM GLAD I CAN HELP I AM LIVIN FROM THE POWER OF PRAY.

@Sheree: This may be a dumb question but, what did you do with your hair for your surgery? How did you manage it? I was thinking about having it braided down for the surgery, but I dont know exactly where they are going to do the incision. I think it’s goiing to be in the back right side area of my head. Just curious as to how you managed your hair day of surgery and during your recovery. Thanks.

I had my hair completely shaved off. 3 weeks to the day my girlfriends took me shopping…hey we have to look good right? Every place I went into from customers to employees hugged me. They all had loved ones who were fighting an illness. I have never felt such love and hope! HOLD YOUR HEAD UP HIGH! You are a survivor!