Houdini

When I was in the hospital recovering slowly from the AVM,
I could not walk hardly at all, but I proved to be a person
that was hard to keep in one place, and the nurses called me Houdini. I don't remember all those times twelve years ago, when I slipped from their care, but I do remember the following:

One time I was in my wheel chair and I slipped past the
nurses and got in the elevator and got to the ground
floor. I wanted to go home in the worst way! But they found me and brought me back to my floor.

Later, they had me sleeping in a bed with screen sides to it that could be zipped up on the outer sides. I was given a buzzer so that I could be let out if I really needed to, and they thought that would keep me in. They were wrong. I remember the very early morning when I buzzed for them and they did not come to let me out...so I used my finger nails to pressure the outside of those zippers until I could get my legs out and get out and get in my wheel chair. Then when ready I wheeled into the area where we were given breakfast and later I got back in the "secured" bed to go back to sleep. I guess it was the next night that they had my zipper secured very well, and I could not get out that way in the morning. So I found a zipper I could open at the head of the bed, and pushed at the wall on the other side of the screen until the bed moved some so that I could escape and have my early breakfast again.

Now it wasn't long after this that I was released from the hospital and my wife came and drove me home.
You would think that I would be happy to get what I wanted, my freedom, but I was still in poor condition and I worried that I was not able to yet go home and exist. I was wrong, and in time I did fine. These are all times
that I now remember with a laugh at my own behavior.

John, you made me laugh, too. Thanks for sharing your memory.

John,

When I click on blogs, I’ve come to look forward to yours. Thought you’d like to know! Keep on blogging!

Regards,

Tim

Thank you, Susan. It is funny, now but at the time it seemed more like horror.

To you, Tim. That surprises me! Alot. Thanks for telling me. Yours in health.