Homonymous hemianopia

How many of you have Homonymous hemianopia i had the AVM on the right temporal lobe and now have Homonymous hemianopia in the right side of both eyes.

hi nikolaos,
i had an avm that involved both my right temporal andd occipital lobe i nnow have hemianopia also …

from th eleft side?i dont know if my avm that was in th eright temporal lobe was also involved in the occipital lobe

How can we fix this?The neurologist told me just while walking to take some quick looks in the left side and it will be fixed.Is this ok?

Huh so that is what you call that. I have a small deficit in my upper peripheral vision. My doc told me it could also just be because of my meds. It doesn’t bother me so even if it doesn’t go away I am ok with it.

i am also ok with it

My husband is missing vision in the upper right quarter of each eye after his crainiotomy. After his bleed for his left temporal lobe AVM vision was fine until the craniotomy. He has learned to look to the right more when driving/walking. We are still hoping it will come back but it’s been 18 months now so probably will not. Even though when he had the field vision test done at 6 months after the craniotomy then again at 12 months there was a slight increase in vision in that area. He goes again in September 2010 so perhaps could even be more.
Blessings to you all!
Marie

its been 39 months for me but i don’t care let it stay i am praising God every day

I have had homonymous hemianopia for the last 9 years. It started right around the same time that I started having the headaches that led to my AVM being diagnosed. It started as just a small loss of vision in the upper right corner of each eye. Then, following my craniotomy, I ended up losing the entire right field of view in both eyes. I was intially told that it may come back, but may take a few months. After a year of no change, the neurosurgeon flat-out said, “It’s not going to come back.” It’s now been almost 5 years since my surgery and my vision has not improved at all.

My AVM was in my left temporal lobe and the optic nerves ran right next to the AVM. I am kind of surprised to hear that both your AVM and vision loss are on the same side. Usually, damage to the brain will cause vision loss to the opposite side. However, from what I understand, there are 4 main paths for the optic nerves. One the left side of the brain, for example, one bundle of nerves stays within the left side of the brain and goes to the left eye. Meanwhile, another bundle of nerves go from the left lobe to the right eye. This is is how we are able to see in 3D. The part that leaves me confused, is how the vision would be lost on the same side that the brain was damaged.

what i understand is that those who had avm-bleeds-craniotomy… in the temporal lobes have problems in the optic field vision

I had a major bleed over two months ago in the right hemisphere. Have lost some upper temporal vision in both eyes…but have been very lucky.

It is so interesting that I came upon your blog, my avm is basically in the same area as yours. Anyway, I was feeling as though I could have lost my peripheral vision in my right eye, at first I thought it had something to do with my glasses, maybe I had looked though the side of them or something. But, I started to run into door frames in my house going from one room to the other. I thought this was an issue I needed to bring up to my eye doctor. I had no idea it could have been from my avm, thank you now I know to bring it up to my neurologist!
Take Care,
Sheila

My avm is also located on the right side…temporal, occipital, parietal lobes. I have always had a slight peripheral vision cut on the left side of both eyes. It became much worse a year ago when my left side symptoms kicked in, however since my 4 embos and a shunt, my vision is as good as can remember. Still a slight cut in peripheral vision, but nothing I can’t live with.