Hobbies?

Hey all,

I’ve got a question for you. But first a brief “context” to the question…

If you’ve read any of my “stuff” this year, you’d know that this has been a rough year (and not even COVID related). Lots of AVM-related issues, lots of struggles, over a month in the hospital. My wife and I decided to move our “go condo” plan from a 2 to 5-year plan to a 2 to 5-month plan because of my limitations and the unknowns.

We move into that condo this coming Saturday and I couldn’t be more excited. Excited to get rid of all of the excess work that comes with a 120-year-old farmhouse on an acre of grass, excited to have… Well, you probably get the idea, no need to ramble.

My last stay at the hospital and with the outpatient people since then, there has been a growing chorus that says, “TJ, you need to stop looking back and look forward instead. It won’t be the same, but that doesn’t mean it can’t still be good. Different, but good.” We talked a lot about the concept of “what brings me joy” even when I can’t do what I used to. Don’t say, “I want that (points to the past) instead figure out something new.”

Because I was in the hospital, I didn’t actually set foot inside the condo until this past Monday (right after we closed on it.) It was even better than I thought it would be!

But that’s where I need your input. In the unfinished part of the basement, there is a built-in workbench and tool shelves area that is obviously where the seller spent time doing “something.” When my dad “retired” then he got serious about his model train railroad, he took up an entire room and built villages and all kinds of stuff. He probably spent 20 hours a week working on it.

Now keep in mind, I am not a perfectionist. I don’t play one on TV, I couldn’t pass the test to even act like a perfectionist. But this workshop that I just got is saying, “do something with me.” And I don’t know what…

• Do I refinish old furniture?
  • Do I build things? Small things can be easily brought up and downstairs and not take up too much room?
  • Do I make models - trains, planes, automobiles?
  • Do I fix things? And if so, what kind of things?
  • Do I set up a computer workshop? Fix computers down there?

I don’t know, so that’s why I’m turning to you guys. Realistically 5 to 15 hours a week (depending on the weather) and I really don’t care if I make money on it (thanks to disability insurance) but if I did, that would be good

What would you do? How do I figure it out?

Thanks in advance for your wisdom,

TJ

Hey Tom,
Funny you should ask this now. The shape of my backside has become firmly moulded in my computer chair. It’s either been too hot (40C+) or too cold (less than 10C), but finally I have extricated my self from my chair and made a start clearing my shed.
Now my shed is 30ft x 40ft and it is loaded with a bit of everything. It has a ‘goat track’ leading through all of the ‘stuff’ (I call it stuff. SHE calls it junk. It all has a use) We bought this place in '04, the last time I saw the back wall was probably '05. And it’s full. I mean ‘to-the-roof’ full.
Anyway, I’ve made a start in clearing it out, ohh and the stuff you find ie 'I forgot I even had that tsk" :wink:
“SHE” just wants to get a rubbish skip and throw the lot, so “SHE” has been barred from MY shed.
I have a few computers in there, so I do tinker around with them. I do fix things already, so I need a bit more space to do that but that means I have to re orientate everything to make more space and that takes a bit of planning. The previous owner had kids and they’ve walked on the roof, so there’s a bit of a repair to be done first. I’ve measured it up and made some plans. Separated up areas for storage, work zones and ‘Junk’ (my stuff) zones. And then I have to have a ‘Flexi’ zone that could be used for storage or work or ‘stuff’ (If I don’t call it ‘flexi space’ SHE will fill it up with her JUNK :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )

My suggestion for you TJ is to make a plan. What are your interests? Have designated areas for specific interests but also have an area including bench space that can have multiple uses, then you’re not limited as much. I’ve just finished insulating all of my electrical cables, wired up some new lighting and hung hooks along the roof beams for all of my extension cords etc and setup shelving, so now I’ve got places to put stuff to make some more space. ‘She’ walked in there the other day ‘Ohh, I can see the door…That means there’s room for my…’ “OUT!!!” :rofl:

Merl from the Modsupport Team

I would buy a Foredom flexible shaft wood carver and a Detail Master wood burner and do wood carving.

Find a leaf on the ground and use that as a pattern/model to carve a small candy dish. This fills the human need to create. Then give it away as a gift to someone you care about.

Work your way up to fish or birds. There’s a book called How to Carve a Red Tailed Hawk.

I enjoy reflecting while creating. It does a body good.

1 Like

TJ

I think it’s like retirement. When we get to retirement, there has to be something (or a collection of somethings) to fill the gap of the mad, mad working day.

The process I’ve gone through for this is to think positively about the things I fancy doing in retirement and then start one or two of them. My wife is considering retirement (her sisters keep nagging her to stop work, move to the same village as them and help out looking after mum) so I’ve told my wife the same thing: take the pressure off of retiring, don’t retire but do think about what the things are that you fancy doing when you do. Once you’ve got a few things you fancy, maybe then start actual retirement.

I think the things you might do are entirely personal. For me (I took early retirement at Easter 2020 into the strangest possible world for a retiree) and I had so many things I wanted to have a go at that if I’m not careful I’ll be far busier retired than I was at work (and that’s not the idea).

I’d love to be able to play a musical instrument. I’ve got a keyboard (nice one). At some point I should decide if I’m going to get serious with that.

I’m doing a bit of “consultancy” re things from my old job – a few hours a month. That has been good, actually, and all earnings nicely above board.

I started an art class last summer and through the autumn term. That was also good. I want to do a bit more of that. I’ve done a bit of clay modelling, too.

What I’m doing is trying things out.

I’ll attach a couple of drawings / paintings.

Start small. Just try stuff and see what you like. You’ll probably not get it right first time.

Richard

1 Like

Here are some examples of drawing & painting I did last autumn. First time I’ve done any drawing etc since school, other than a couple of “day class” things on a couple of holidays.

A drawing of the character Gene Hunt.

I was quite amazed that that turned out pretty human. Not bad at all.

My first watercolor in years…

And another one I did in the autumn. This one uses ink, wax and watercolour.

I think I overdid the wax on that one. Next time, use the wax more sparingly to get the “leaf skeleton” we all would recognise of a leaf that is part-decayed but I like the different colours and the dark spots of decay: they work nicely, I think.

Whatever you fancy having a go at, have a go. Keep the costs reined in initially until you find something you are good at / enjoy and then go mad!

2 Likes

If i could use both arms and hands it would be railroads.

2 Likes

Before my hemorrhage and craniotomy I made pottery. I had a wheel and loved to get elbow deep in the clay. That really requires two good hands, and although I’ve tried it again a and can mange, it’s not much fun with one wonky hand. Luckily my right hand is pretty good, so I’ve been taking painting classes. I’m enjoying it a lot and it’s actually very zen. Almost like meditation so it takes my mind off of things, which is nice. Maybe not as good as Dick’s but getting better!

2 Likes

I started to crochet to help with my stroke side hand and then that lead to making pet toys that I sell on Etsy where I donate 50% of the proceeds to either no kill shelters or tnr groups or rescues. I would love to be able to paint art but sadly cant but cant only paint reg house walls…If you have a talent you would like to teach you can always hit up your local community or senior center once places are opening back up again too. As long as you enjoy doing it - I say go for it!
Angela

1 Like

Can I just say, I think the mallards are amazing – not sure I could do those!

Hey all,

Thanks for the input about hobbies. I’ve got a good number of things that I’m going to try, but with the nice work bench area that was left in the basement of the condo, I kind of feel like I need to do something with it. But what, well, that remains to be seen.

This shows, once again, the power of collective thinking. A relatively quick question and it shows up an answer from the wisdom of the group that says, “try things.” That’s kind of what I was thinking but it reinforced the thinking. If I get anything that comes anywhere close to being even 10% as good as what’s featured above, I’ll share a picture of it. Don’t hold your breath.

TJ

P.S. Why Phase 2? We moved into our condo on Saturday! Everything went very well. I am going to have a lot more time to do the things that make me feel better about me (rather than mowing and weeding and sweeping etc…).

That’s Phase 2

2 Likes

Mike,

Model railroads? My Dad had a probably 40 year hobby with model trains. By the time he was close to done, he had cities, towns, multiple train routes and more, it was something that brought him so much peace and enjoyment even when the rest of life was tough.

If it were me, I’d do a “Mini-racetrack” type of thing. In case you’re wondering he “gave” his train sets away to someone who has been a friend since high school and was going to build it as a retirement project with his son and his grandson. He waited to do that until he knew his days with building trains were over.

TJ

1 Like

Well, god willing - Still, bodybuilding - followed by anything automotive(especially since we opened our shop back up) - again, what a blessing - now, I’m getting into small engine repair just for fun

I, myself have no talents I have ever found in myself - I don’t sing, draw & so on

But, I am considering starting to write. . . Between, what I have been through & what I have seen - I would imagine I could write a book or two < so, I have been told by a few scholarly folk. . . I’m just so happy to be able to be on the go again, like I have been before all of my health issues started.

Love to hear other folks hobbies, interests, etc. . . . Good thread

My Hobbies include:

DJ’ing & Music Production
Graphic Designing
Collecting sports Cards - more Basketball cards
Collect CD’s, Vinyl & Cassette Tapes
Retro Video Gaming
Basketball & Soccer

Writing and playing with Sumo, my dog
Sumo

I guess the two hobby thread could b combined - at 1st I thought they were one

Right?!

I’m like - wait a minute, it’s not the same thread

It is now :wink:

1 Like

Hobbies that I’ve done some of in the last 10 years:
Reading
Walking with my dog
Writing (on here, on my own site, and elsewhere)
Impromptu Natural Pictures - pictures of nature as I see it randomly throughout my day and week and month. Sometimes includes people, but the nature is always the focus. At the point, only on my FB page.

Hobbies that I haven’t done for decades but want to get into it again:
Golf - haven’t played it since 2007 when the housing market started falling and my (and all banks) stopped supporting their mortgage lenders habits. Don’t know how much I can do, but even if it’s only the driving range 1 time per week, I’d be happy.

Piano - haven’t played since lessons got done in 1979. My recital piece was my favorite type of classical music - really loud. Rumor has it that the grand piano started rolling away from me while I pounded away at it.

Biking - I have not ridden a bike since 1977 without pain. Shoulders cramping up, arms going numb, neck being very painful, it was not something fun. While I was in the hospital this last time, that came to an end. They introduced me to a recumbent three wheel bike. It’s an incredible thing - comfortable, fun, enjoyable. And then I found out that because of the generosity of some of their supporters, they underwrite a lot of the cost. So, it will take a few weeks until the bike gets here but I’m looking forward to it. Oh and our new condo is about 1/2 mile off a 20 mile bike trail. Couldn’t have planned better if I had tried.

I know I have a good number of hobbies but between having a really nice workshop downstairs and a desire to be able to do something with my hands, I feel like I should have something in that “area.” Keep in mind, I have tremors in my left hand, so drawing mallards or anything with design and perfectionism won’t work. I’m even wondering if there are things that are worth more apart than they are together. Like, if you took a John Deere Lawn tractor apart and solid parts and then scrap metaled the rest, you could, say, buy it for $50 and sell it online in pieces for say a total of $225 (total guess).

And once again, I’ve rambled too long. Thanks all, this is all very helpful, seriously.

TJ

1 Like

Yeah, I took piano lessons from 5th grade through 8th grade and quit when I moved on to high school…

Sounds good buddy! I use Logic & Abelton but have also used Reason & FL… I started DJing at 15 & production at about 20… God bless!