Hi, I'm a new member here. I have AVM and I would love to help others and share experiences

Hi David,

I had an AVM in 2015 above my ear. It affected my ability to communicate although I understood everything and my thoughts were clear. I had a mild stroke which is how they found out about it. I went to surgery around 6 weeks later. I am SO glad I did. I have full function, although my husband says that I occasionally forget a word that I need. So I’m about 99% of what I was. I’m happy to accept that. For me the surgery was a cure. Get your surgery. If they can remove it safely, they should. Just make sure you feel good about your doctor. Hunt around if you don’t already have one. Hope this encouragement is helpful.

Welcome to the group David. I also had an AVM. Border type 3… I can relate to your short-term memory loss. At times, I have about a 10 second short term memory. My surgery was about a year and a half ago and was 12 hours. Best wishes to you as you face surgery. Everyone on this group has so much to be thankful for, and having one another to share experiences with can be very helpful. Know that you are not alone in your journey. You are a survivor!

Hi David,
Cheers !!
Life throws lot of challenges and we need to brave them at all times.

Gamma Knife is a pretty good, non messy option especially if its in a zone where the standard operation is difficult.

My daughter aged 17 went through this year in feb, after her episode in november’18, we have had a scan 6 months post the Gamma-knife and the results are reassuring that the AVM has shrunk upto 70%.

Yes, i agree , there were some behaviourial changes in the beginning, this negativity tends to change slowly in you and the others that love you to a positive support.

God Bless you, you have a bright future… keep fighting . Victory is assuredly yours

regards
Eston GOMEZ

hi David,

Im from the UK, same side AVM, ive had Gamma Knife twice. Takes some time, but after the last dose, they say thats almost totally disappeared. Good luck on your operation. You could also contact Different Strokes and pass on your story.