Hi Everyone

I am at a friends parents house who are taking care of me. Most of the mind numbing buzzing went away and the only thing that is left is the constant dizzyness and fatigue. My right side of my body is kinda heavy weight and weak and I cant move my left eyebrow at all. Im starting to walk a little bit everyday but ofcourse still so tired. My brain feels tired but I have alot of trouble sleeping. I am eating really healthy and full meals. The left side of my head is shaved and the right side of my hair is cut to my shoulders. I am getting my staples out tomorrow and cant wait to wash my hair.My plan is to rest and sleep alot but slowly work on getting strong and back to life. Im excited. The bad news is that they couldnt clip all of the aneurysm. There is still some residual aneurysm at the bottom, however they gave me a less than 1 % chance of it popping and they said they are going to watch it. The only thing I am now frightened of is getting hydrocephelus or something because I do not want to be cut open again to fix anything that goes wrong. Does anyone know at what point people get shunts or stints or if I may get worse or am I all in the clear now after a couple of weeks?

Great news Krystal …i’ts all behind you now. You are on your way back to being you .

Hi Krystal, glad to see you back again. I’ll say this… When it comes to brain surgery and being “in the clear” is a very big question mark. The doctors can make predictions, but this is the human body we are talking about, and an AVM is not something that should have happened in the first place, so to say that you are 99% out of the clear is almost impossible and count on it to happen that way. I’m not trying to say that you’re going run into trouble… Fact of the matter is, everything is still so recent that almost any prediction is going to be a 50/50 chance.

All that being said, the fact that the buzzing has gone away is excellent! The dizziness and fatigue will fade away. The right side of your body should slowly build up its strength, but it will take some time, and it may or may not be back to 100%, but it SHOULD at least get a part where you don’t notice the “heaviness” anymore. Likewise, there is a good chance that you will be able to feel/move your eyebrow again. I went through several months of not being able to feel the left side of my head at all. I was afraid it would be that way forever, but now, 3.5 years later, I can feel everything except for the scar itself. I also had a hard time sleeping after my surgery, and still do, but it’s improved. Even if you can’t sleep, rest is helpful.

Going for walks, eating well, and getting MILD exercise is a good thing. I am guessing that the doctor probably told you not to lift anything more than 5 pounds or so, so be sure to keep this in mind.

Just remember, be patient! This is all going to take time. The human body was not designed to have brain surgery.

Hi Krystal, I’m glad you’re doing a little better and that you have someone there for you. After my surgery I noticed everytime I wake up my right eye would take about 2 hrs to open up, it’s been 10 yrs and it is still closed when I wake, but I can open it now in about 15 min. I was also tired and dizzy a lot after surgery and needed a lot of rest, but with that also came excruciating migraines. It is good that you’re eating healthy to and exercise is important just take your time and don’t do anything strenuous. I also have 2 small avm that they are watching, so as long as they are keeping a watch on them try not to worry too much, I’ve already done that to myself and it on brings on alot of depression which is no fun at all. Try to keep a positive attiutude about everything. I don’t want to be cut open again ither, but time will tell, so until then let’s just pray that we won’t have to go through it again. Being on this site is good therapy so please keep us informed.

Krystal- I’m so glad that you have a “mom & dad” to take care of you!!! I don’t know what it’s like to recover from brain surgery…but it’s brain surgery!!! I think that you sound remarkably upbeat and that you are doing all the right things to build your strength and stay healthy. And it’s just gonna take some time!
Hang in there. Good luck today with getting the staples out, and enjoy the hair washing!!! :slight_smile:

I’m glad to hear that you are better.
Believe it or not both of my parents had brain surgery, and it took time for both of them to get better.

Peace,
Ameenah

Hi Krystal, you will get better and better day by day… I’ll keep you in my prayers… I had my hair all shaved off too… but its all growing back now… take a look at my pics… Hope u feeling better soon. I sleep alot too…my days were couch tv sleep eat tv sleep couch tv eat sleeeeeppp…