Hi everyone! I have a question about Gamma Knife

Hello, I’m new here! I’m 29 years old, female, from Italy. Please excuse my bad English.

Here’s my story.
Last year, in May, I was taking a walk in the park when suddendly I had the strongest headache I’d ever experienced in my life. It was so sudden and on the top of my head. The last thing I remember is that I was talking to a friend. Next thing I know, I was in the hospital four days later about to do an MRI.

Thankfully I was with a friend, who thought something was off when I started crying because of the pain and started asking over and over where we were going and why. I don’t remember any of this, he told me everything some days later. He took me to the er, they did a TC scan and bam! Brain hemorrhage. So I was rushed to the neurosurgery ward of a bigger hospital.

The bleeding was stopped with medication, so they didn’t perform a surgery. After a all the exams, and sleeping and not eating for several days, the doctors told me that basically my only option was radiosurgery, due to the location (corpus callosum) and the size of my AVM. I was discharged after two weeks. I had terrible pain in my lower back from the blood flowing down, but other than that I was feeling pretty much normal, except from some fatigue and feeling down all the time.

They suggested another hospital because they don’t do radiosurgery in the first hospital, so I went there, met the surgeon twice, and then I was put on the waiting list. At the end of January they finally admitted me to the hospital and performed the radiosurgery with Gamma Knife. Two weeks later I was already back to work.

Now I’m just worried about possible side effects - should I open another thread?

Anyway, nice to meet you everybody!

Edit - So I decided to add my question here: after the procedure, I was told that I reacted well and that they used a small dose of radiation. I felt nauseous for several days, but it could also have been that I had an infection on the wounds on my head. Then, a few days ago (almost one month after GK) I started feeling sharp pain in my head. It’s like I have pins, the pain comes and goes, and it changes location from time to time. I wonder if this is because only now my head is feeling less numb from the anesthesia, or if it could be a side effect - biut wouldn’t one month be too early? The pain doesn’t feel very deep in the brain but it’s not always near the point where they fixed the needles. The doctor told me to call him if I have a strong headache, and this is getting worse, but can never tell how actually serious the pain is, because compared to the headache I had when my AVM bled, every headache is nothing!

Also, for those of you who have experienced side effects - what did you do about it? Did you take cortisone? Did you see the neurosurgeon earlier than scheduled? Were you hospitalized?

Thank you!

Jenny,

Welcome to our site! It’s great to have you with us! You’ve had quite a time!

If your big question is about gamma knife, just change the title of your topic to say something like “hi everyone! I’ve got questions about gamma knife”. Use the pencil icon next to the title to change it to whatever you feel.

I haven’t had gamma knife – I’ve had an embolisation – so I can’t tell you other than what people have told me. It sounds like the right treatment to me. There are possible side effects but I reckon be positive and you’ll be fine. A lot of getting better is in the mind rather than in the brain, if you see what I mean.

By the way, your English is perfect! Parlo italiano - l’ho studiato a scuola – ma ho dimenticato tutti!

Welcome!

Richard

welcome! browse this site; a lot of good people and a wide variety of experiences that can give you some good insight.
stay strong!

Welcome @redjenny to the group. You might want to search on effects of gamma knife - here is the list - https://avmsurvivors.org/search?q=effects%20of%20gamma%20knife
so glad you were with a friend who knew to take you to ER- We would love to live in Italy but since I had a stroke before my AVM developed we probably will end staying in California because we are so close to Stanford and all my drs are there- hugs Angela

Welcome Jenny: So glad you found us. We will lend support and encouragement whenever you need it. I had the Gamma Knife Radiation procedure (GKR) for my 4cm AVM located in my Cerebellum in 2015. My rupture happened in 11/14. I was watching television when suddenly my head felt like it had exploded! Three weeks later I came out of my coma and was told that I had an AVM in a location that would make surgery dangerous. My life totally changed at that point as you can imagine. I had no serious side effects after the GKR procedure. I had a fairly serious headache for 3 days, followed by a sense of euphoria that steps had finally been taken to start the eradication of the monster in my head. It’s been almost 3 years since GKP and my AVM is not gone, but it is 50% smaller, and for that I’m grateful. I will have my 2nd GKP in April, 2018 and I pray it will get rid of the rest of my AVM. I still have some deficiencies, but I’m alive! I may be a little different than I was before my AVM ruptured, but I feel blessed to still be here so that I can welcome you to our wonderful group. The thing about us is that “we get it”! P&P (Prayer & Patience) is my recipe. Feel free to use it. Wishing you the best.

Sharon D…

@Mike5 thank you! :blush:

@DickD che bello trovare qualcuno che sa l’italiano! Bravo! Penso che sia una lingua molto difficile per chi deve studiarla, complimenti. Today it’s also election day here! Fingers crossed. I use English everyday for work, so hopefully I can still improve.

Going to make another post because of quoting limitations for newbies!

@Angela4 I feel you. I’ve studied Japanese in university and I have many Japanese friends, now I won’t be able to travel to Japan for a while, I guess. Thanks for the link, it will take a while to go through everything! As my gamma knife was one month ago, I think it’s too early to develop an inflammation and the neurosurgeon gave me his private cellphone in case I wouldn’t feel good, but I don’t want to bother him for nothing and I don’t know when I should actually start worrying! Maybe I’m being paranoid.

@Sharon_D I’m so sorry to hear that you were in a coma for so long. It must have been terrifying. I was conscious all the time, I just lost my short-term memory for 3/4 days and all I did was sleeping. For me too, the location would make surgery too dangerous so they would only do it in case of emergency. I’ve had no deficiencies left from my AVM and bleeding, only frequent headaches and due to my low blood pressure, when I stand up I feel the blood rushing through my head, if that makes sense? Whereas before I would just feel dizzy. My life changed more on an emotional level. I was at a very good point in life when I had the bleeding, I kind of accepted it as a part of my life, but now I feel weirdly attached to the hospitals I’ve been to and the hospital staff. I felt so much safer there. I’m looking forward my next check up with the neurosurgeon, but I have 5 months to go. How often do you do check ups?

Santo cielo! Parla giapponese! Penso che sia veramente una lingua molto difficile da studiare per gli occidentali. Ho studiato il francese ma la mia vacanza in famiglia è spesso la Spagna, dunque mescolo le mie parole in spagnolo ed in italiano!

You should be ok posting in this thread. Japanese! I know like 4 phrases and that’s it. Wow!

Richard

Hi and welcome! I have a left temporal AVM that bleed in May of 2016 and had gamma knife in November 2016. I’ve had limited side effects from the gamma itself, had the procedure on a Thursday and was back at work on the Monday. I had the fairly common numbness from the pins, and some mild pain, and a few times more substantial that may have been from some swelling. Now that I know what the bleed pain feels like I was not worried. I do get ice pick headaches, that are short in duration but when they do occur I certainly take notice, and am very happy as they pass. I’m fortunate in that I haven’t experienced anything more significant so far. Take Care, John.

redjenny:

You asked me about doctor’s appointments and all I can say is that there are many on the road to recovery. I have a Neurologist, Neuro-Surgeon, another Neuro-something, a Gamma Knife Radiologist, and my Primary is still in the loop. My appointments and procedures were at 2 months after the bleed; then 6 mos., 1 mo., 18 mos., 6 mos., 2 mos., 3 mos., and in April, 2018 it will have been 8 months since my last appointment. In April, I’m scheduled for another Gamma Knife Procedure. Sometimes the appointments are bothersome, but necessary. At each appointment I’m always looking for the doctor’s to say "your AVM is gone! Instead I get, “you’re doing very well so we’ll see you in 2 months or 6 months”. The good thing about the appointments is that it gives me a chance to bring up any issues, problems, or concerns I have since the last appointment. Having an AVM is a lot of work and takes a lot of patience. So, slow down, practice patience, and don’t forget to breathe. We will be here for you every step of the way. Best of Luck!

Sharon D…

1 Like