Headaches following craniotomy

Post-op day 3. Just curious about headaches. Can anyone elaborate on their experiences with headaches and how long they lasted? His are getting better but I’m just curious.
Thanks in advance,
Lisa

Hey Lisas,
Craniotomy and headaches and how long they lasted. That really is a ‘how long is a piece of string?’ sort of question. Post op day 3 and his are getting better? IMO he is one very, VERY LUCKY man.
The reason I say ‘how long is a piece of string?’ is because there are many variables such as where the incision was made, how deep within the brain they have ventured, what structures have been disturbed etc.
Personally I have had 6 neurosurgical operations including a craniotomy. My last surgery was in 2013 and to this day I still have debilitating, mind numbing, nauseating headaches on a daily basis. I have had dr’s tell me ‘…it’s all psychological as the body has healed…’ but the pain is definitely physical. I have had dr’s tell me ‘…this is as good as it gets…’ so I’ve got this level of pain for the rest of my life. I have tried all sorts of management tools from hydrotherapy to accupunture to meditation to botox and all sorts of medications but none have been ‘the key’. From my previous surgeries I rehabilitated ‘fairly’ well, sure there were some deficits but over all fairly well. But since my last I’m screwed. I know of other patients who post surgery are pretty much wheelchair bound and yet others who returned to a normal life with very little in the way of impairments.
When it comes to brain surgery to be saying 6-8 weeks and everything is fixed is impossible, there are simply too many variables.
Lisas, if 3 days post op and he is feeling better, he is one very lucky man and long may it last because the other side of the coin is NASTY and not worth thinking about, that I can guarantee you.

Merl from the Moderator Support Team

2 Likes

Thanks and I appreciate your candor. His are better in the sense that he doesn’t have to take the heavy duty pain meds but the headaches are still bringing him to tears. As a mother, I want him to not have pain but they just opened his skull so I don’t think that’s possible. I’m wanting an answer that doesn’t exist. I just pray that these headaches don’t last forever because I just can’t imagine how’d he cope. This is so much for a 15 year old to deal with.
Thanks, Lisa

Hi lisas,
3 days post op, I think I still had bad headaches. Talking from my experience and what I can remember, I think I was of all pain relief by two weeks so hopefully the pain will start to ease of for him soon. Glad everything went ok for him and you. And now you can all move forward with life avm free !!! wooppeeeeeee​:grin::grin::grin: and just to add I havent really suffered from any major deficits, I’ve had a few hurdles to over come but nothing too serious atm :crossed_fingers:t2:For him xx